Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low supply after sickness

Default Re: Low supply after sickness

I thought I was better, went to work for half a day Wednesday and all day yesterday. At the end of the day yesterday the fever came back with a migrane headache. Since the I have kept the headache and the fever comes and goes. Yesterday I did do a litter better (3 oz per 3 hours). So that was better. I am home resting today. Maybe by Monday I can kick this virus and things will get better.

Ugh, just reading your story sends me back to winter when my son was in daycare. We were sick CONSTANTLY. With norovirus I too lost weight and lots of water, becomign too dehydrated which didn't help my milk supply.
    And it would often take twice as long for my supply to come back up than the number of days I was even sick. I agree with the PP, you have to put your health first and demand is the only thing that will work. Whenever you're at home with baby just nurse, nurse, nurse! I did use galactalogues and copius water. Not sure if those really helped but it seemed like they did (brewer's yeast, fennugreek, oatmeal daily, and of course baking lots of "lactation cookies" was fun and delicious).
    Take care of yourself and rest up!

Sorry for all the sick going on in your household recently. That is really hard.

About a month ago my son and I both got a tummy bug, and even after we stopped getting physically sick neither of us had much of an appetite. I burned through my small freezer stash fairly quickly because I was 1 bottle short most days when pumping at work. I had to leave work early one day because I didn't have enough to send him to daycare with. I'm so glad my boss was understanding.

I had to add two pumping sessions to each day, and I did them in the morning right after I got up, and at night right before I went to bed. I didn't want to add more at work because I would have needed to stay later to get my work done. If I stay too much later he runs the risk of needing another bottle, so that would be counterproductive for us.

When he was actually nursing he went from a one side a session baby to a both sides a session baby. This allowed him to still get enough, and I think it helped rebuild my supply. I've also consistently noticed I get more when pumping on days I have oatmeal for breakfast, so while my supply was low I made sure to have oatmeal every morning until I caught up.

It wasn't until just this past week that I started getting enough during my normal work pumping sessions. I've dropped the night session, and am still doing some extra morning sessions to rebuild my freezer stash.

I started feeling better again on Saturday and have been back at work this week. I am seeing some improvement, but not back where I need to be yet. Yesterday, I brought home 10 oz. So I had to thaw a couple of ounces to get her 3-4 oz bottles for today. So far todays output is similar to yesterdays. I was hoping to get back to normal without fenugreek. But I may go ahead and order it. I started to order it with Amazon prime but it is now an "add on" item, so I need to pay $25 or pay shipping. I couldn't think of anythign else I needed, so I never ordered it.

If I wasn't behind at work, I would add a pumping session. But I am playing catchup from missing so much work these last two weeks. The baby has been waking up every 1 to 1 1/2 hours as opposed to her normal 3 hours. So I am a little sleep deprived. I am wondering if she is cutting another tooth or she is just hungrier since my supply took a dip.

I would have oatmeal for breakfast, but my stomach is still not normal from the food poisoning a couple of weeks ago and I just end up with diarrhea. I need to do an inventory of my freezer stash. I think I still have enough to supplement for a few weeks. Hopefully, I can get this resolved before I run out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bensmom427 View Post
    The baby has been waking up every 1 to 1 1/2 hours as opposed to her normal 3 hours.
    I know this is super-tiring, but I'm guessing it's going to do wonders for your supply! Hang in there...

Wednesday I actually pumped an extra time and got 12 oz. But Wednesday night DD got a fever and a runny nose. I stayed home with her yesterday and her congestion got progressively worse. I am pumping milk for her now (3 am) hoping she can take a bottle because she just can't nurse. She has so much mucous and it reminds me of when she has Rsv at 5 weeks old. We have used saline drops, baby rub, given her a dose of Benadryl (at the direction of the on-call doctor), been running the humidifier, and she sleeps in an inclined position. I can't think of anything else to try. Her temp got up near 104 initially. We are alternating Tylenol and Advil and it is getting up near 103. How I wish I could stay home and miss more work, but I can't so DH will stay home with her tomorrow. This is the worst month ever

She was able to drink the bottle. She took about 3 oz of the 4 I pumped. So at least she got some milk down. This morning she surprised us and woke up feeling better. She is still a little congested but she was able to nurse. Her fever also broke. So at least this illness may be short. With so much sickness these past few weeks I feel like we need to live in a bubble for a while
    Last edited by @llli*bensmom427; July 19th, 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Oh mama, it's so hard when baby is sick one time after another, and you on top of it. My winter this year was like that and by the end of it I was such a wreck! It will get better. Glad to hear LO was able to nurse this morning. Hang in there!