Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about occasional pumping

Default question about occasional pumping

I realize this is for breastfeeding, but I thought because my question pertained to occasional pumping, that some of the moms here might be able to give me some suggestions...
    My husbands company is taking us all on a trip to NYC for Christmas. We will be gone from around 2ish in the afternoon until about midnight. I plan on nursing right before I leave home, but not sure which pump to use while away. I have an Ameda manual, but really REALLY don't want to use it if I don't have to. It's painful, noisy and very slow to pump out the milk. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pump to use just for the day? I would prefer one that is either manual OR that works on batteries (size C, D, etc.)
    Hope you can help.

Default Re: question about occasional pumping

i've heard some women had great success with the medela harmony manual pump. i think you should be able to get it at babies r us....
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I was given the Ameda manual in the hospital, and I agree with you--it's not the greatest, at least it wasn't for me. I did have great success with the Medela Harmony, as the PP suggests. It was fairly comfortable, and worked without giving me carpal tunnel.

Lisa

How old is your baby? If your past the 1st 12 weeks, it's VERY VERY possible to go four or 6 hours without pumping or being too uncomfortable. @ 5months I went 15hrs w/out feeding him and didn't even start to leak until the 8hour point.
    Earlier this month I was away for 8hrs and I didn't pump or leak. If your concern is about alcohol you don't need to pump and dump. Don't over do it, but once you don't feel the alcohol, and it's left your bloodstream it's out of your milk. If you feel OK to drive(and know you'd pass a breathalizer if you got pulled over) Your OK to feed. Have a good time at the party!

So you are going to be gone about 10 hours... Even at 18 months if I go that long I am uncomfortable and leaking... How old is your baby? Have you had any supply issues, any bouts with mastitus or plugged ducts? You have a a couple of options but ether way you look at it you will need to do something while you are gone.
    You can manually express ether a full feeding or just enough to be comfortable.
    Take your pump along or look for a hands free pump that you can buy and take with you.
    If your baby is little I do not think that it is a good idea to go anywhere near that long w/o pumping or feeding..might not be such a good idea for your supply....Also if you are prone to Mastitus or plugged ducts you really should pump or hand express. Have Fun at the party! Brittan