Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing frozen breast milk??

Default Mixing frozen breast milk??

I'm returning to work in 2 weeks and am needing to supply my 6 week old with bottles. I have a freezer stash and was wondering if I can mix frozen milk from different days in the same bottle? Or do they need to be separated?

Default Re: Mixing frozen breast milk?

Yes, you can mix milk from different days. Just remember that the expiration date for the bottle will be the same as for the oldest milk in the bottle.

Have you been pulling and testing milk from the stash? Now is a good time to make sure your stored milk is not developing lipase issues.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Have you been pulling and testing milk from the stash? Now is a good time to make sure your stored milk is not developing lipase issues.
    I have never heard of lipase? How do I test for it?

Lipase is an enzyme that breaks down fat. It's something that occurs naturally in your milk, though different moms will have different levels of lipase, and lipase levels may vary over time. It's not a problem in fresh milk, but rather in milk that has been stored, giving the lipase a nice long time to do its work.

Milk that has been affected by excess lipase has a taste which many moms describe as "soapy" or "metallic". You want to test for it by pulling a few bags from different dates, thawing them, and taste-testing them yourself, and by giving baby a chance to drink them. Some babies are fine with a certain level of lipase, others are very finicky and won't drink anything that is other least bit affected by lipase.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Mixing frozen breast milk??

You can mix them. Just remember that a normal feed for a breastfed baby is generally small, about 2-3 oz. So if you have frozen milk in these quantities, you may not have to combine any bags, anyway!