Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying and Milk Storage

Default Flying and Milk Storage

For those of you that have had short flights with BM. Did you have to check your baggage due to the 2 bag limit? I assume that my pump and the cooler would be my 2 bags? Do they stick to this or would I be able to bring my carryon too? It's a short 3 hour flight for 3 days due to a death in the family.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Default Re: Flying and Milk Storage

Sorry for your loss.... What I've done is have my pump as my "personal item," ie stick my wallet, phone, etc into the pump bag - the pump bag becomes my purse. Then you can bring your carryon as your main item. How big is your cooler? If it's big they may count it as your second item, if it's small, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to ask. Or, you could just wing it and gate check the carryon if they won't let you bring it on board.

Thanks...it's an expected loss, my grandfather who was 91. I'll be flying down early Thursday and back on Sunday. Estimating about 30 ounces a day so it'll have to be a relatively larger cooler which I'll buy when I get there. How many ice blocks should I use? I'd have to use the cooler for about 8 hours including layovers the trips to and from the airport.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

I think they are pretty strict about the 2-item carry-on limit. If I were in your shoes, I would use my pump bag as a personal bag and stow other personal items in it (like the PP suggested), or if the pump bag isn't big enough, I would put the pump into a LARGER tote and use that. I agree that at 30 oz a day for 3-4 days, your cooler for the return trip is probably going to be its own carry-on item.

Here are the TSA guidelines, if helpful:
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveling-formula...milk-and-juice
    I would print and carry a hard copy of that page with you. I find that there is a lot of variety in how knowledgeable/consistent individual TSA agents are about their official policies.

Also, if your flight itinerary is 8 hours, and you anticipate needing to pump at some point during your travel, you might need to do a little research beforehand on clean facilities you can use for pumping at your airports. Perhaps you could contact the airports ahead of time and find out if they have a mothers lounge or nursing room and in which terminals. If not, maybe contact your airline and see if they have a private spot you can use in their elite lounges for frequent flyers. Sometimes the airline can issue a temporary pass for those lounges.

Another option is shipping the milk home frozen on dry ice. I haven't done it but I've googled it and it doesn't look that hard to do.

Hmm. Maybe I can take the little pump "block", out of my pump bag and put that into my carryon suitcase. I won't need to pump at the airport, thankfully. The pump bag is way bigger than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vtmtbkr View Post
    Hmm. Maybe I can take the little pump "block", out of my pump bag and put that into my carryon suitcase.
    That should work, just don't check it! A friend of mine packed her pump and checked it, the suitcase was lost or stolen and there went her pump with it! Anyway, if you decide to go that route, maybe make sure the pump works fine once you take it out before your trip - you don't want to get there and have to scramble around for a pump.

In terms of the ice blocks - are you going to freeze the milk as you go along, or leave it fresh? If you freeze it, you have to make sure it remains at least partially frozen all the way back, whereas if you leave it fresh, you just need to keep it reasonably chilled. Not sure how many ice blocks that will entail.... Or you could try the shipping as mercystreet suggests. Which would save you the cooler carry-on issue.

Just noticed your 1368 ounces of donated milk - WOW!!!

I had another thought: how much frozen milk do you have at home? Any chance you can donate the milk locally? Maybe the place you usually donate to can help arrange?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I had another thought: how much frozen milk do you have at home? Any chance you can donate the milk locally? Maybe the place you usually donate to can help arrange?
    That same thing dawned on me last night and I posted on the facebook site for Alabama. No responses yet and but maybe I'll find someone. The town my grandfather is from is very small which makes things more difficult.

I'll be keeping all the milk fresh and not checking any bags. I started packing last night and it looks like I'll have plenty of room to get my pump into my carryon.

Now all I have to worry about is my husband with the two girls for 4 days! Hopefully the almost 9 month old continues to sleep through the night for him.

they'll be fine!

i agree - if you can spare the milk, donate it. if you don't use Eats on Feet or Human Milk 4 Human Babies (hm4hb) then try there - i had people willing to drive for a 1-time donation.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree, the girls will be fine! You had another work trip before, right?