Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nipple shield

Default Re: Nipple shield

I'm going to have to ask her about it on friday. I did send her an email but I think that particular question got lost in the shuffle. From talking to you guys though I'm thinking the shield probably just isn't big enough. It would also explain why sometimes I get the bad latch pain with the shield too. In which case we might have to hold out till he's a little bigger....

There are two-maybe more? brands of shields and they do have slightly different shapes. What brand are you using? And it's the 20 mm?

I wouldn't say we've turned a corner because we keep having these little successes and then the next time we try it's back to square one- but at least he's starting to see that even if the breast doesn't always mean food, it does mean comfort.
    Oh I know. It's so frustrating! But those little successes are so important. IN my experience with really difficult latch issues, progress happens in fits and starts and there are going to be setbacks.

For me the most helpful thing was to try (as much as possible) to nurse when baby was calm. And I would do things to calm myself. My technique to keep myself somewhat relaxed during nursing sessions was to make up silly words about nursing and baby to the tunes of old pop songs.
    I was also wondering... what is it about the shield that makes it so baby doesn't need to take in the areola? I know for a latch without it he needs to take in a substantial amount of areola, but with the shield all he's getting is nipple.
    What I am thinking is that maybe the tip is still too big-too protruding- for baby (while also too small in diameter for you) so while the big firm tip gives baby something to hold onto and allows baby to latch, (good) it could also be making it hard for baby to get the deep latch- as in the video. Even if a baby is nipple nursing, often they are getting milk and it is fine, however, nipple nursing may also make it more difficult for baby to "milk" the breast and is one reason that monitoring intake (by watching output and weight gain) and pumping as well is often suggested when using shields.

Medela 20 yes.

You know, the more I look the more I think you're right... it's very long and narrow. The next size up is even more so. The Tommee Tippee appears wider at the base and shorter. We're going broke buying all these things, but we may just have to go buy the Tommee Tippee one. I also notice Nuk sells them too but I'd have to see the nipple first hand.

You might just have figured out what the problem is!

The LC replied that babies do just suck on the nipple with the shield, which is one of the issues with it. But... I obviously don't let down to the shield. We bought the Tommee Tippee ones and he just sucked patiently for a good 10 minutes and nothing happened so as usual he went to sleep. I feel like there's nothing we can do at this point? I can't latch without the shield and I can't let down with it on.

Meg, you let down okay with the shield for your little one, right? What am I missing here?

Yes I used a nipple shield and yes my baby did get plenty of milk. I pumped after every session but that was for the milk production concerns of nipple shield use-baby was getting milk-I never needed to supplemement baby on the expressed milk.

I am sorry but without seeing what is happening I can't say-I have no idea what the LC means by "baby just sucks on the nipple with the sheild." That seems wrong to me. I am sure it happens, but I am also pretty sure it is not supposed to be that way! but I am not an IBCLC...
    Please do not give up. You are so close. I am really wondering why you are so sure baby is not getting anything. Sometimes baby does right? You reported that one session where baby was obviously swallowing? Can you go back to the IBCLC, have her watch a session WITH THE SHEILD ON and do a before and after weight check with the sheild on?

My understanding is that when a baby uses the shield, the baby should still be doing most of his sucking on the areola, not the nipple. The shield is there to enable the latch (for a baby who has trouble with that step), and to protect the nipple from a baby who is having trouble achieving a deep latch. It's not the to allow the baby to suck just on the nipple!

I like the idea of keeping on trying the shorter Tommee Tippee shield.

And please don't give up! I know this must be ridiculously frustrating and discouraging (and expensive), but your baby will latch with the shield and that is huge progress. He's just so little right now. I know this probably seems obvious, but bigger baby = bigger mouth = deeper latch. A deeper latch will have him reaching the areola, rather than just sucking on the nipple.

I know you're probably super-tired of spending money on breastfeeding, but keep the long term in mind! I once added up the money I spent on getting my first baby to nurse, and got a price rage of around $800. And I still feel like I came out on top, because a year's worth of formula would have set us back $1500-2000.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, I was very confused by her answer.. but I didn't second guess it because her credentials are amazing and she's definitely helped us get on the right path where the other LCs failed.

I've gone back and forth between the size 20 medela and the tommee tippee today and he latches better to the medela.

In answer to why I think baby isn't getting anything: When I let down when he's just on the bare nipple my other one leaks like crazy. That's how I know when I've let down because honestly I don't feel anything. And when I pull it out to relatch there's nothing but baby spit in the reservoir! The one or two times I let down with it on there was very clearly milk in there. Plus, there's no swallowing noises, and he goes to sleep. if he is getting milk he stays awake and sucks in a one two three four pattern, followed by a swallow.

At this point baby latches almost every time I offer him the breast with the shield! If I could just get milk flowing I think we'd be really well off.

Mommal, I need to show those figures to my husband! He has been super patient and supportive but I can tell he's getting worried and every time I suggest a new product I can just see him crunching numbers.

I honestly don't think there's room in the shield for any of the areola. My nipple just about fills it up as it is. But as I said before the size up is too big- both for me and for him. it slips off and he gets overwhelmed by the size of it. The Tommee Tippee one doesn't seem to go deep enough but I'll keep trying it.

if baby latches better wth the medela, why not keep using the medela? One ibclc I talked to this about mentioned the Ameda as an alternativehere is what she said- 'The most similar to Medela is the Ameda, which I believe has a little broader base and a little softer looking tip.'

Do you have to wait until friday to see the ibclc again? Im not understanding the sheild fit you describe at all...do you mean the flat 'hat brim' part of the sheild does not cover any part of your areola?

And why does baby sometimes seems to gets milk and sometimes not... This is something that you need someone else-a trained eye- watching the nursing session.

Are you saying you are not letting down some sessions and that is when it seems baby gets nothing? Have you tried breast compression during or hand expression prior to nursing to help stimulate let down? its normal to not feel anything during letdown btw.

Have you tried latching baby without the sheild again?

btw are you pumping?

I am pumping round the clock. I have a thread about it in the Milk issues forum here on the site.

The shield covers it but it kind of flaps off and the nipple shaped reservoir doesn't have any areola going up into it when he sucks. Just nipple. Areola doesn't get stimulated at all and I have to physically hold the brim area down so it doesn't smother him.

nipple shaped reservoir doesn't have any areola going up into it when he sucks. Just nipple.
    that is how it is supposed to fit. the resevoir tip is for the nipple. JUST the nipple.

Areola doesn't get stimulated at all
    this is why baby may need to latch deeper.

and I have to physically hold the brim area down so it doesn't smother him
    this is pretty typical.

Have you tried a tiny bit of lanolin to 'glue' the rim down? I never did this but have heard it worked.

I always did best getting the sheild on if my breast and sheild were dry. yes of course it would get wet during the session and sometimes I would have to do mop up and try again.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 10th, 2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: messed up