Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 day old sleeping most of the night

Default 9 day old sleeping most of the night

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but have been reading for a while. You guys are awesome & are so helpful! Thanks to many GREAT posts!

I have a 9 day old little boy & we have been EBF since day one. He is the second that I BF. My first son only received it for 6 months- I had to introduce a bottle to him pretty early on & had many issues. After I delivered my first son, I was given very high doses of steroids and had to pump and dump for a few days. There were many healthy issues with me as well. Anyway, my goal this time around is 1 year. I am a full-time working mom with 12 hour shifts on a VERY work day. I am a little nervous about pumping when the time comes, but I know it will work out. With my most recent little guy, there have been no latching on issues since & everything is going pretty well. Many wet diapers and poopy diapers. He passed his birth weight 5 days after birth! So he is gaining well. I do have a concern, though, might not even be a big deal but wanted to see what you have to say .

I have had to wake him up every night since we came home from the hospital to feed. I read you shouldn't let BF babies sleep more than 4 hours in the early weeks but I have been waking him every 3 hours up until his first MD appointment. The MD advised to let him sleep but I still wake him every 4 hours- which is only once a night. His last feed is anywhere from 10pm-1200a. There is no schedule- he is fed on demand. My question for you, is it ok to let them sleep when they are so young? Also, I am scared to slow down my milk supply since we are only 9 days in & we are still establishing BF. I am wondering if I should maybe wake up to pump and get my stash up before returning to work. I don't go back to mid-september. I just want to enjoy him and pump the most little as possible.

TIA!

Thanks!

Default Re: 9 day old sleeping most of the night

Congrats on new baby and welcome to the forum!

It may be fine to let baby sleep since baby is gaining well as long as baby nurses at least 10 times in a 24 hour day total.

But as you know, nursing is very much a two way street! Frequency is needed for both baby and mom. So you are correct, the risk of long sleep stretches is that you will become very engorged or at least, very full, and that may cause several issues including an abnormal reduction in supply.

If waking baby after 4 hours is working for you and baby, there is certainly no harm in continuing to do that. There is no need for a baby this age to get some long length of uninterrupted sleep. Getting nursing off to a good start is more important anyway, healthwise. I would suggest nurse baby, don't add pumping yet unless it is needed for engorgement and baby won't nurse. Also if baby won’t wake and nurse you can do a little hand expression as needed.

How long will baby sleep if you don't wake baby? I mean, maybe baby will wake on his own after 4 hours and 15 minutes! Since baby is gaining so well you can experiment a little as you like.

Also, if baby is getting a pacifier at night, is being swaddled for sleep, or sleeping in another room than mom, baby may have an 'unnaturally' longer sleep stretch.

Thank you for the quick response. Last night I did experiment and he slept for 6 hours! I will continue to wake him every 4 at night until we have BF established. I am also thinking I might have thrush...my breast are very itchy & hurting in between feeds. I had a c-section and was given antibiotics & just getting over mastitis as well. Baby's tongue is starting to get white. I called my LC and she said it most likely is. Any suggestions on thrush? I know we both have to get treated.

Thanks!

Well, it could be thrush, of course. On the other hand, thrush is routinely blamed for nipple pain, over diagnosed, so, just fyi. But when you say your breasts are itching and burning-where? Nipples, whole breast? And is it the whole time between nursing, some of the time? Right after nursing? or only when you get full? Is the itching internal or external? How does nursing itself feel? Any redness, pinkness, flaky skin, shiny skin on you nipple area?

When you talked to the LC what did she suggest for thrush? IS this a board certified lactation consultant? If so, can you see her in person for a consultation? Basically I am saying breast/nipple pain can mean a lot of things. A white TONGUE on baby is not a firm indicator of thrush. White spots elsewhere in the mouth is, But it's quite tricky as baby can also have NO visible symptoms sometimes, and it is still thrush.

I know its a lot of questions sorry! If you are pretty confident after talking to the LC that it is thrush no need to answer them. Here is another thread where we discussed thrush a bit, follow the link I posted for one suggested thrush protocol. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...pain-in-nipple

Oh please, ask away! I want BF to workout so bad! They are itchy ALL OVER. More my left breast than my right. I can't describe the pain fully, it is throbbing and its mostly on the nipples. As of today though, on my right breast I have more pain under the areola and towards my left shooting towards my axilla area in between feeds. These feelings come and go. The itching feels external. The symptoms to get worse when my breast are full. My right breast also has overproduction. THe letdown is very forceful & baby WAS choking but now is handling it pretty well. While nursing, when the baby latches on, I have pain on the nipple for maybe 30 seconds and then there is no pain. I feel tingly and the itching gets even more intense with a letdown. There is no redness (other than right after nursing), flaky skin, or shiny skin on my nipple area. There is only mild pinkness to it. I just noticed there are tiny white dots on mt areola. they are raised like little pimples.

My LC is a LLL leader in my area & is BCLC. She hasn't seen me in person, I just called her yesterday with the onset of the symptoms. We have been talking on the phone since I started nursing. I can see her in person if I have to...she lives in my area. Honestly, baby's tongue is mildly white. My mom breastfed all of us and she took a look at it yesterday and says it looks normal to her. The LC suggested to buy a probiotic yogurt drink, make a paste to apply to nipples as often as needed and to even sun bathe if possible for a little bit topless(of course not to burn). She also said to disinfect everything that has come in contact with my breast. She also suggested to buy an infant probiotic for baby & to air dry whatever I possibly could in the sun in my backyard. If things don't get better within 48 hours to call my MD & pediatrician.

Thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*emv123; July 7th, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

i'd say you're at high risk for thrush, and that seems like a reasonable guess, and even if it is overdiagnosed, it is usually very straightforward and cheap to treat over the counter. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP the GSE worked for me almost immediately. the probiotics won't hurt and will probably help but you also really actually need to TREAT the thrush in both of you. disinfecting & air/sun dry will help recurrence and healing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

But mom is itching all over, and has overproduction, and it's summer and...

Maybe it is thrush in part-the shooting pain and itching in the nipple area suggest that-but other things don't quite fit-the external itching all over the breast, intermittent pain, the specificity of where the pain is, latch only hurting at first... Is it possible the intermitent pain in the overproducing breast could be letdown sensation which can be quite painful? maybe A plug?The itching all over could indicate engorgement? I am just saying, don't keep chasing the thrush train to the detriment of breastfeeding. If thrush treatment works, that is what it is. If not, it may be something else.

Can you afford an appt with this lady or someone? When a Leader is also an IBCLC she is in a tricky ethical position-if you called her as a Leader, she cannot offer her professional services as an IBCLC. If you call her back as an IBCLC, you can discuss rates and if she thinks an appt is warranted. Thush is hard to diagnose even in person, but a complete in person appt might rule out other potential issues.

oh, meg, i agree - i'm just saying thrush is easy to rule out because it's cheap, over-the-counter, essentially no-risk treatment that should show improvement right away, if it is thrush (and it might well be).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

good point! I have personally never had thrush so the varying symptoms-it overwhelms me sometimes.

i had thrush, and didn't have the flakes and some of the other typical symptoms, just painful latch & slightly pink nipples, for MONTHS before i treated it ... then i felt really dumb when the pain went away within a day of GSE. i thought it was just teething at first and gritted my teeth through it, totally unnecessarily.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13