Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby had 2 month shots today. Not nursing!!!!

Question Baby had 2 month shots today. Not nursing!!!!

Hello it's me again. thank goodness for these forums. I have been trying to nurse my baby but each time after she cues she takes one suck and leaves the breast. I've tried switching, different positions, walking, rocking. Nothing works. She has not had her proper 5 minute feed for over 5 hours but she is not crying either. The reason i am very worried is that it is very hot and our home is over 30c. I don't want her to be dehydrated. Does anyone have any advice? Am i worrying for nothing? Btw, her dr suggested i nurse her while she got the shots. Anyone else experience this?

Default Re: Baby had 2 month shots today. Not nursing!!!!

Of course you want to be careful but I would find it very odd if you otherwise health baby (she must be healthy or they would not have given her her shots today?) would get any more than mildly dehydrated in just a few hours, even if your house is uncomfortably warm. She is likely uncomfortable/feeling weird due to the shots and this will pass once she is feeling better, which should be soon.

If you are comfortable with giving baby a little pain reliever, I suggest call your doctor for to check if that is ok and for correct dosage and do that.

You could hand express a little milk and try cup feeding her. Or just try instant reward by dribbling a little milk on your nipple to see if that helps her take the breast.

If you cannot get your home cooler, can you try cooling both of you down by taking a bath together? Baths together sometimes seem to help a reluctant nurser as well.

Thank you for your reply and excellent suggestions. The bath worked.

good to hear hope baby is feeling better!