Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething baby :( Suggestions?

Default Teething baby :( Suggestions?

LO is teething and is absolutely miserable. She will only eat well when nearly asleep, if she's awake she'll latch on then pull off screaming. She likes the teething rings from the fridge but only for a few minutes, then she gets frustrated. She's only 3 months (15 weeks) old. I want to help her feel better but I'm not really sure what all I can do for her...anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Teething baby :( Suggestions?

Since she's so young, I wonder if this isn't teething but rather an ear infection. If you haven't had her in to the doc recently, that might be something to explore.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine was an early teether, starting at 3.5 months, so it's not impossible that teething is at play, but you'd also probably see things like a lot of extra drool, maybe looser stools (because of the drool), chewing on her hands, those teether toys would probably keep her interest longer, and also teething pain tends to be worse at night (not better). Sometimes it causes them to get bitey at the breast and to comfort nurse more -- but it never made mine UNlatch or get fussy at the breast (although I guess anything is possible - but for us, my LO camped out on the breast a lot more when teething). So I agree with Mommal that the behaviors your describing could also be an ear infection.

Well I did take her to the doctor just to be on the safe side, her ears look perfect! Doctor confirmed that she's teething. She definitely has tons of drool, hands are always in the mouth and she has had looser stools. She's been quite bitey too, at the breast and when my mom gives her bottles (while I'm at work). She nurses fine and for long periods of time if she's sleepier as opposed to wide awake. She's also easily distracted when nursing a lot of the time so the whole unlatching thing isn't necessarily brand new with the teething. The doctor did tell me the signs of teething & ear infections are pretty similar, though. Thanks for the replies though because I honestly hadn't thought of an ear infection until I read mommal's response so I'm definitely glad I got her checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Well, I'm glad to hear it's not her ears!

I think the best way to get through teething fussiness is just to keep offering and maybe to try nursing in a really relaxing location, like a warm bath. And don't be afraid to give baby some acetaminophen or whatever, and see if that makes a difference!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"