Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning with exercise and long spans between nursing

Default Pump weaning with exercise and long spans between nursing

I have maintained pumping 1x a day on most but not all days since my LO turned one for a number of reasons: I leave for work before she wakes up most days, some days I work a 14-hour day (I pump 2x that day sometimes), because she still wants milk with her lunch and I'd rather her have mine, because I feel a little uncomfortable around lunch when I go to the gym and don't want any plugged ducts (got one from exercising once). I'm getting very little during my pumping sessions anymore, and she's almost 21 months, so I'm kind of wanting to stop.

I have a few questions -- if I stop pumping on all days but the 14-hour workdays, I'm assuming my supply will be okay, right, even if she goes nearly 20 hours a day sometimes? Sometimes she nurses around midnight and then doesn't wake up before I go to work, so she wouldn't nurse again until around 4:30 or 5:00. That's about 16 hours on an average day! I don't dream feed her anymore -- she's too light of a sleeper and then freaks out about mommy leaving for work.

Also, what about plugged ducts -- I feel like I've been as gradual as possible, so other than pumping 1x a day do I have any other options? Since I workout at lunch, I may be going 12 hours or so from when she last nursed and I start exercise, then still got hours until I go home. If I'm going to find a place to hand express, I feel like I might as well pump and give her the milk!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Default Re: Pump weaning with exercise and long spans between nursin

Could you keep the pump on hand for just in case, and only pump when you feel like you need to? You could also pump just enough to take the pressure off, without making it a full session.

As long she's still nursing on a fairly regular basis -- even if it's only once every 24 hours -- your body will adjust to it and continue to produce as much milk as she's removing.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Hi filmmommy, one thing that doesn't make sense to me is the fact that you feel full, yet you're not getting much out of the pump. I wonder how well your pump is actually working? Also, just wanted to share a couple of my experiences with you, in case they are helpful. A few weeks after my son turned a year old, I started working crazy hours - like some days leaving at 5 in the morning and getting home at 2 am the following morning, at which point I would pump, then I would leave again a few hours later, and then nurse that evening. Basically I always left before he woke up and often got home late, so usually I was either nursing or pumping just once in the 24 hours. For me at least that was enough to keep up supply, as Karen suggests. With regards to plugged ducts, my current LO is 16 months old and I pump weaned at a year. I have had a bunch of plugged ducts since then. The pattern seems to be that she nurses on demand on the weekends, my supply picks up, and then early in the week I get a plugged duct. With advice from the forum I'm trying to do strategic pumping on the days when I feel particularly full or tending towards a plugged duct, which usually works out to once or twice a week. Would be nice to never look at the pump but, still preferable to daily pumping! Anyway, at the end of the day, I think it's a trial and error thing - you can play around with not pumping on some of your shorter days but just have a low threshold to pump if you feel a plugged duct coming on.

Okay, thanks for the information. Guess I can't entirely give up the pumping but can just do it when and as much as necessary. bfwmomof3, I don't entirely feel full, as much as I have an uncomfortable feeling, like little twinges. I wondered if that's just from not nursing for a while. It normally feels better after pumping. That's why I worry about the plugged ducts, as I wonder if that uncomfortable feeling is my body telling me something. I don't hate pumping as much as some others, but it makes for a hard workday to try to fit it in sometimes now. My pump has been used for about 1.5 years now, so I'm sure it's wearing down. But don't want to buy another for the amount it gets used.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Maybe just change out the membranes/valves, if you haven't done so recently? I hear you on trying to fit pumping - it's amazing you've kept up the habit this long! Anyway, I think as long as you get on the plugged ducts right away, you could try and see what happens, and if you don't get one, you're good, and if you do get one, then you deal with it, you know?