Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ideas for non-perishables?

Default Re: ideas for non-perishables?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    If you're near a Trader Joe's, they sell bagged kale chips. I haven't tried them. Another thing I've gotten there and other stores is freeze dried fruit -- blueberries and mangoes, especially. They also have freeze dried peas there. My LO loves them. I was suspicious of them and bought them on a whim.
    Good to know! We don't have a Trader Joe's yet, but they are supposed to be opening some stores here starting late-2013, and I have to admit I'm pretty excited about it. I've been so jealous of my CA & NY friends who have been all over TJ for years now ... meanwhile I try to exercise tremendous restraint at Whole Paycheck - I mean, Whole Foods

Just remembered also that when I was looking for snacks for my boy at that age and was/am still set against buying all these special "baby snacks" with lots of hidden sugar, I turned to the adult health food sections a lot - I am sure you have those too, a section in the store with stuff for people with gluten allergies, or those on low salt diets (perfect for those under two!)or other special food needs, but made / marketed for adults - most of those are not as loaded with sugar as the snack food for babies or toddlers is.
    As it is I forgot about most of it, except the knackebrod and rice wafers which he still eats, because he wont eat the other stuff any more more but there were small packets of crackers, and cereals, all kinds of things with (almost) no sugar and low salt, and no wheat or at least many wheat alternatives. I even bought stuff from those sections like apple sauce or fruit compote to take with us on holidays in individual containers, when we could not bring frozen homemade stuff.

Just to follow up - THANKS all for the suggestions! I bought a bunch of stuff at Sprouts and my little guy loved all of it: we tried brown rice cakes, oatmeal "snackimals," dried apricots and raisins, and roasted seaweed squares (those he thought were pretty interesting - fun to shred too!). He did fine with all the textures which impressed me. Funny how sometimes they are ready for more than you realize, and sooner than you think.