Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideas for non-perishables?

Default ideas for non-perishables?

My daycare has requested that I give them some "non-perishable foods" for my son's bin. I already keep Cheerios there, but beyond that, we don't eat a lot of processed foods and we definitely don't buy the packaged baby foods/snacks. Mostly we just give LO what we eat, BLS style. I send generous portions every day (usually fruit, veggies, and meat) but I guess they want something extra on hand for snacks or in case he's in a food tossing mood. Any ideas? I don't think it has to be TRUE non-perishables, just something I could put in his bin on Monday morning to last the week. He's almost 14 mos and has all his molars so he can handle some texture. Thanks.

Default Re: ideas for non-perishables?

Dried fruit? Raisins, dried apples, apricots, etc. The larger fruits can be diced into baby-friendly sizes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://www.continentalbakeries.com/e...-replacements/

I am not sure which of these products are available in the US, but the rice wafers and knackebrod (both without sugar) are popular toddler snacks where we live and available with various grains: wheat but also rye and spelt. Both keep indefinitely ;-) also what we can buy here but have not found in English on the internet just now are millet balls the size of marbles (not small as in breakfast cereal).

My baby loves those packaged dried seaweed squares. Some more-motivated-than-I-am moms make homemade kale chips or sweet potato chips, which I assume have some shelf life if stored in an airtight container.

"Natural" versions of popular snack crackers- like Annie's bunnies?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Dried fruit? Raisins, dried apples, apricots, etc. The larger fruits can be diced into baby-friendly sizes.
    Mommal, good idea... do you think there are any choking risks as far as size of the dried fruit is concerned? Or just dice them up fairly small and trust he'll chew them up OK?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammi View Post
    http://www.continentalbakeries.com/e...-replacements/
    I am not sure which of these products are available in the US, but the rice wafers and knackebrod (both without sugar) are popular toddler snacks where we live and available with various grains: wheat but also rye and spelt. Both keep indefinitely ;-) also what we can buy here but have not found in English on the internet just now are millet balls the size of marbles (not small as in breakfast cereal).
    Thanks Mammi, this is a great idea... some of those look promising. I will have to make a visit to Whole Foods (that's the main specialty grocery store near me) to see if they carry anything like this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    My baby loves those packaged dried seaweed squares. Some more-motivated-than-I-am moms make homemade kale chips or sweet potato chips, which I assume have some shelf life if stored in an airtight container.

"Natural" versions of popular snack crackers- like Annie's bunnies?
    Oh, seaweed squares -- I just saw some of these on an endcap display ... bet my LO would love that, he loves crunching into things with his front teeth! I am motivated (have made kale chips before with success) but short on time these days, so I think I'll give a packaged version a try. I like the idea of the Annie's bunny crackers too.

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions -- I feel less bewildered by daycare's request now!

If you're near a Trader Joe's, they sell bagged kale chips. I haven't tried them. Another thing I've gotten there and other stores is freeze dried fruit -- blueberries and mangoes, especially. They also have freeze dried peas there. My LO loves them. I was suspicious of them and bought them on a whim.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    do you think there are any choking risks as far as size of the dried fruit is concerned? Or just dice them up fairly small and trust he'll chew them up OK?
    Dice them up until they're raisin sized, and they should be fine, especially since he has molars. But even though he has molars, don't expect him to chew every piece of dried fruit. And...er, how do I put this... If he doesn't chew the dried fruits, expect to meet them again, in his diaper. Raisins turn back into grapes. True story.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And...er, how do I put this... If he doesn't chew the dried fruits, expect to meet them again, in his diaper. Raisins turn back into grapes. True story.
    Wow, OK -- thanks for the heads up on that one. Yet another fun new dimension that solids bring to diaper changes ;-)