Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any BF mommas working out?

Cool Any BF mommas working out?

Any suggestions with continuing to workout and breastfeeding? Was it easier to work out at home? Was going to the gym too much? When did you start? Did it affect nursing in any way? Milk taste, etc? Any experiences with this is highly appreciated!

I am not dieting but just wish to workout for benefit purposes and b/c I have been doing so for over 10 years...its a lifestyle for me and truly miss it.

TIA!

Default Re: Any BF mommas working out?

I began running 12 days post partum and ran a 13 miler at 5 weeks post partum so it wasn't really that hard to get back into distances. It didn't seem to affect milk supply or taste. Make sure you get a good sports bra or two to wear. Distance running is a lifestyle for me and I was back to marathons at 9 mos pp and ran my first 50K at 15 mos pp. I always just run outside unless it's too snowy and icy then I do a workout dvd indoors. I have never been a gym person, just run outdoors but if that's what you like then go for it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I started doing workout videos at about 3 months PP -I had a C-section and I found it really difficult to get started, my stamina was way down. If you go in the 'Around the Refreshment Table' section of the forum, there's a sub-forum for fitness. We have a Jillian Michaels thread, if you're interested. I've been doing her videos a couple times a week now for about 7 months, and I've lost all the baby weight and then some (although I'm pretty sure some of the credit goes to breastfeeding). I find it pretty easy to workout at home -when DD was less mobile, I'd lay her down in her playmat with some toys or in the crook of the couch and sing/talk to her while I exercised. Now that she's crawling, we go in the room in the basement with all her toys (it's babyproofed) and she crawls around and plays while I do the videos. I just have to be careful not to jump on her! I don't think there's been any negative effects on my milk or my supply.

I went back to gym workouts because that is what I like to do to exercise. The biggest issue (ahem) was having to get supportive sports bras to accommodate my larger chest size, and keeping it low impact at the start because my breasts were so sensitive. Other than that, I worked out in whatever way I wanted. There wasn't any effect on nursing. I've heard that some babies don't like to latch when you're sweaty if this taste bothers them -- but mine never cared and was always eager to nurse the moment I walked in the door

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    If you go in the 'Around the Refreshment Table' section of the forum, there's a sub-forum for fitness. We have a Jillian Michaels thread, if you're interested.
    Where is this forum? Can you link us please?

Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I was always a gym-goer before I started having kids. I used to go after work and then go home and have dinner. After I had my son, it was no longer practical to work out after work (he had to be picked up from daycare, for one thing! - and we only had one car at that time so my husband and I were commuting together). I didn't want to take the extra time to drive to the gym, and early on it's hard to know when baby will next want to nurse. So some of the ways I've worked exercise into my routine (and I exercise every day except on rare occasions): take the baby for a walk in a carrier or the stroller (I've never liked jogging, but if you do, you can go for a jog in the stroller) - with this last baby I was up and walking within a few days, starting slow of course; we bought an exercise bike, so I'll ride the bike after the kids go to bed; we have a pool, so I swim in the summertime - often I'll do my laps, then the kids jump in, and now that my oldest can swim well (he's six), he sometimes swims in the pool with me. But I also have friends who belong to gyms with childcare, so they'll take baby to the gym. Absolutely no reason not to continue exercising just because you're nursing!