Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distractability Causing Supply Issue

Default Distractability Causing Supply Issue

My 7 month old is too interested in the world to commit to a decent feeding while he is awake. Everything captures his attention and it's wonderful that he's so curious, but his inability to spend any time at the breast has dramatically compromised my supply. Since it's a long weekend, I've been sneaking in a few pumping sessions between feeds so there is fresh milk in the fridge when I go to work on Monday. But I am only getting 1 ounce between both breasts (and this is after he hasn't drained either). I usually get 3-5oz. Also, since DS is busy working on scooting and crawling, he's sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at night and isn't making up for the lack of daytime feedings with a reverse cycle. I am worried that if supply isn't maintained by baby, I will have to give formula when I am away at work because I can't pump enough for daytime bottles.

Default Re: Distractability Causing Supply Issue

Will baby nurse more frequently if offered? My almost 8 month old nurses maybe for two whole minutes at a time while awake these days, but does so about every 45 minutes, ha! I am a low-average pumper, so I too prefer it when she eats well when I am with her. So I wear easy access clothing, and I play on the floor with her, and she feeds while playing. I get in the bath with her, and she feeds while bathing. Basically I just make myself super available. We are nursing on the floor right now...

Yes, if I offer more often, he will latch on for about a minute and then pop off. It's very inconvenient for everyone involved. This morning I was lying on our living room floor while he nursed from the top breast in the "push up" position that he likes to use to scoot around the house. He'd take a few sips, play with a toy, take a few sips, look around the room, take a few sips and then started playing with my nipple before he pushed off to another activity. This availability approach works great on weekends when we are home, but not so great during the work week or on very scheduled weekends. My pumping sessions at work have gone from yielding about 15-17oz over 9 hours to barely 12. My husband, who is home with the kids in the summer, says this isn't enough to get them through the day and my husband is very conservative when it comes to bottles.

15-17 oz is pretty great pumping yield, wow! I have only ever pumped a maximum of 12 oz. over a 9 hour work day! My LO likes frequent bottles, so she gets six 2 oz. bottles a day while I am at work. Sometimes she takes 5 bottles if one of them is a 3 oz. feed. But mostly, it is the frequency that my girl likes, so I have always kept her bottles small, and it has worked well. 12 oz is within the reasonable intake for a 9 hour separation...would your LO be okay with slightly smaller bottles? How much is in each bottle now?

Yes, I had great supply and DS was drinking about 14 - 16ozs in my absence. My husband has been giving smaller bottles since my supply tanked, but that has just meant that the baby wants to eat more often. I'm pretty sure he still wants his full accustomed ounces when he has a bottle he can put down and pick up at his leisure. I am trying to add a pumping session or two every day during the workweek to make up lost ground, but so far no improvement.