Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nursing break

Default nursing break

If I took a 12-24 hour break from nursing would it do any damage? My nipples are so damaged and everytime I pump or bf the wholes open again. I have beenputting antiinfective and yeast cream for a week and its not getting better..... maybe even worst. Its extremely painful to nurse her but she will take a bottle and root till I let her nurse to sleep. Not sure what to do

Thanks

Default Re: nursing break

Maybe, maybe not. The risks of taking a vacation from nursing are:
    - Baby may refuse to go back to the breast after having a significant stretch of bottles only
    - Milk supply may suffer, because pumping is generally not as good at emptying the breast as the baby is. If you eschew nursing AND pumping for 12-24 hours, you can almost certainly expect a significant reduction of supply.
    - If you don't empty the breast frequently, you could end up uncomfortably full, or engorged, or with a plugged duct, or with mastitis (an especial risk when mom has cracked skin in the nipple area).

If you decide to take a nursing break, here's what I think you should do:
    - Plan to express fairly frequently, at least every 2-3 hours
    - Nurse the baby at least 1-2 times a day, so that she's not just getting bottles. You can survive one painful nursing session per day- trust me! BTDT.
    - Hydrate the cracks before pumping, using a shot glass full of warm water or a really wet washcloth. Scabs crack open less painfully when they are already moistened.
    - If the plan isn't helping you heal or making you more comfortable, or the baby is simply miserable, ditch it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you tried hand expression?

Also what healing techniques have you tried? I thought this was interesting, about cleaning wounded nipples- http://cwgenna.com/nhygiene.html

I am going to try the nipple sheiks again. She chewed it in the past. Maybe she can now express something out of it. O read the washing nipple with soap and water and have been doing it. Just they have not improved in a week. Like I said maybe even more painful. They don't crust over with a scab and I do give them air. I havet tried hand expressing but its so messy. But if they don't start healing I might hand express and save what I an and suppliment until than. I just think that mayne they need to be left alone for a bit to heal. But cant risk supply dropping.

Well the biggest risk if you don't get the milk out somehow is you getting engorged, plugs and mastitis.

ok i t perused your previous threads- did you ever get that tt or lip ties treated? Is your lactation support team aware you are continuing to have severe nipple injury?

Resting the nipples may help you heal, but if the latch was better, you should be able to heal WHILE still nursing. If the latch is NOT better, you are going to get reinjured when you go back to nursing.

I am not saying don;t take a break. With the precautions mommal suggests and regular milk removal, breaks can help especially in cases of severe injury. I just want to make sure the underlying issue is still being worked on.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 4th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

I tried the nipple sheild and she can hardly express anything. Sucks but no swallow and hungry 5 min after falling asleep. Once I took it off she ate better.

I called the lc and got another appt. For Monday. Also called the pediatrtion and want a referral for someone to release the tongue tie. Will see what comes of it. I just know my nipples are not healing and something must be done. She is 3 weeks today and we still don't have answers

I agree. It should not be hurting you like this to nurse your baby! When there is ongoing nipple pain like this there is a reason. When there is a reason identified, appropriate corrections can be made.

I am sorry you are having this struggle! I am sure this is so very frusrating for you.

btw, if the nipple sheild helped YOU at all and you want to try again, bring your sheild to the appt. and talk to the lc about it. They come in a couple different sizes and they have to fit you and baby and be put on correctly if they are possibly going to 'work.' Yes they can make milk transfer more diffficult which is why they should be used with caution. But they can be helpful tools in some situations.

btw here is a general description of what a private consult with an IBCLC should look like: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Thanks for your replys! I just feel frustrated with the feeding issues and a toddler makes it 10x harder. My house is a mess and drier broke! Its crazy here Lol. All I do is try to feed all day and now because it hurts so much I am hesitant to latch her and she gets frustrated. Also she moves her head and arms so much they get in the way.

Sometimes she opens her mouth but does not latch with the nipple inside. She tried but it does not work unil she pulls out a bit. Not sure why. Hope Monday we get it figured out. My ped wants me to see the lc one more time Monday before revering because she clips tt. Hope it goes well. Is she too old to relearned her bad habits?

So the one thing I did to help my nipples when they got cracked and bleeding or even just starting to hurt I would take warm water put a little salt in it and soak my nipples in it. At first I thought it was silly I forgot where I read it from but it helped a lot. I hope you can get it all worked out.