Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 day old sleeping most of the night

Default Re: 9 day old sleeping most of the night

Thank you everyone for your responses. Unfortunately we do have thrush. Baby has symptoms too & currently doing GSE. I am so scared I won't be able to get rid of it... I want to sanitize my surfaces but have no clue what to use. I cant use bleach on my wood furniture! I guess Ill do the 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water diluted to clean everything!

A few questions for moms who have treated their thrust with GSE- when did you apply the GSE to baby's mouth? After or before a feeding? Did you really swab babys mouth every hour? My newborn feeds and sleeps 2-3 hour intervals...so this is hard to do. Also, he gags at my breast when he first latches on. Should I rinse the GSE before starting feeds? I am so bummed about this... :-(

yes, i really swabbed nipples & baby's mouth every hour, for a weekend. mine was a lot older so his naps were shorter, and i think i skipped swabbing while he was asleep? just try your best to get it as close to every hour as you can all the rest of the time, i'd say. swabbing was a lot easier than i expected it to be.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah swabbing is no big deal. I do feel a difference on my breast...they are not so sensitive & I can have a normal shower now. 2 days ago, I couldnt let the water hit my breast bc it was painful & super sensitive. They are still a little itchy off & on.

I have a new concern. Baby is 2 weeks tomorrow and my breast no feel so light and soft. I am afraid I dried up so early on! I thought they weren't supposed to get that way until a little later into BF'ing. Maybe I am just driving myself crazy... :/

The idea that a mom can spontaneously "dry up" is one of those breastfeeding myths that just. won't. die! When a mom has a loss of adequate supply, the reason can almost always be found on the following list:
    - Baby isn't nursing often enough- maybe baby is too undemanding, sleepy or jaundiced, maybe mom is scheduling feedings or supplementing with formula instead of nursing.
    - Baby is unable to nurse well, due to some physical limitation (e.g. a tongue tie, extreme sleepiness, etc.)
    - Hormonal reasons- mom gets pregnant, is taking a form of hormonal contraception that is incompatible with breastfeeding, or has another hormonal problem (e.g. Hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, PCOS).

The adjustment where a mom goes from making too much milk to just enough happens at different points for all moms. So the fact that you now feel "light" and "soft" doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that you adjusted a little early. If you're concerned, watch the baby's diaper output carefully and maybe take him in for a weight check ahead of schedule- I'm assuming the next one is around 2 months? And please don't be afraid to offer to nurse more than the baby seems to want, particularly because your baby is such a "good" sleeper.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I go back next week for a weight check. I was seen last week and want me to come back 2 weeks after that. Anyway, baby nurses every 3 hours during the day and has long stretches at night. My alarm at times doesn't go off which messes up my plan to wake him up! I know its still very early and I can fix this if it truly a low milk supply.

Thanks everyone for your help.

so glad you're feeling better already.

every 3 hours during the day + long stretches at night sounds to me like it's probably not enough nursing sessions ... there are always exceptions but most infants this age need to nurse 10-12 times per 24 hours to have good weight gain and maintain good milk supply. so i agree with encouraging more nursing during the day, and perhaps even stopping by for a 3 week weight check - make sure it's same scale, naked (assuming last weigh was naked - they all should be).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.