Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clumpy pumped milk?

Default clumpy pumped milk?

Yesterday I pumped my milk while at work and stored it in a cooler bag with ice packs I always use when at work. After work, we went to an amusement park to watch fireworks. I got a bottle of the pumped breastmilk out to start letting it warm up to give to my daughter. Every few minutes I would shake/rotate/swirl the bottle to help warm evenly (I didn't have access to warm running water to help warm). That is when I noticed that the milk had floating, white clumps in it and it was sticking to the side of the bottle. It smelled fine, just looked weird. I used the other bottle I had pumped that day and dumped that one because I had no idea what happened... and insight?
    Lisa

Default Re: clumpy pumped milk?

The clumpy milk was normal. The clumps were probably blobs of fat and/or protein that were resistant to being reincorporated into the milk.

I think we expect our milk to look like the milk we buy at the store- but keep in mind that human milk isn't filtered, pasteurized, and homogenized! Clumping and separation is to be expected.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Very normal.

When I pumped milk for my DS1, there was always a layer of "fat" on the top when it was chilled in the fridge. I think you may have not noticed it before and when you warm it with warm running water, it reincorporates (vs just swirling it to warm it).

My daughter loves the "clumps." We scrape any stuck to the sides of the bottle with a spoon and feed it to her. Don't want to waste any of that liquid gold.