Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 month checkup, pretty slow weight gain

Default Re: 4 month checkup, pretty slow weight gain

I also suspect scale or human error here. He's getting plenty of milk, so the low gain in the last month... Just sounds a little suspicious, you know?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The only health concern is a cyst on his spine, but that hasn't hindered his leg movements nor has he had any problem with bowel movements or peeing. What is milk transfer? I've never heard that term before. He seems pretty content, especially after his bath feed. Most of the time he falls asleep when I nurse and then 20-30min later he starts to get fairly fussy. That's usually when I would start second guessing and will top him up with a bottle, rather then put him back on.

Milk transfer = the amount of milk baby is able to take from mom over the course of a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

So I have seen my bottle supply in the fridge decrease dramatically. Before I had 8-10 bottles by the end of the day, It used to sing to me when I opened the door!! Now I feel like I'm struggling to keep 4 in there at any given time. Still pumping 4x/day But I have increased nursing, probably nursing about 2-4 times a day. Right now there is 3 1/2 4oz bottles in there, and I must say that makes me sad, lol. I've even noticed I'm not getting as much per pump session as I was. Before I'd get almost 8oz now I'm lucky to get 4oz. Diaper output still normal. Just want to make sure this is all normal while transitioning? I also took him in today to get weighed and he only gained 2.6oz!! GAH! I must say that surprised me because he's been such a little piggy lately . I have even had to use my stash in the freezer

Also does his latch matter at this age? I talked to the health nurse where I went I told her I wanted to see one of the BF consultants just to make sure he was latching ok because I think he could get on better. She told me that newborn stage is when the latch is important but at his age as long as it's not hurting or anything then she said it is fine. But if he's not on deep enough, he won't drain it right?

2.6 oz in how many days/weeks/months?

11 days