Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: very distractable baby

Default very distractable baby

At least I think that's what the problem is. He used to be able to nurse in public no problem, he was hungry and just ate. This last weekend that all went to hell, we traveled four hours away from home and he decided to stage a mini coup and wouldn't eat unless we went to a darkened bedroom away from all the new people he was meeting. I humored him, because he needed to eat and be calm this weekend, but now we are back home and he still won't nip. He just flails around crying, generally acting like I'm trying to hurt him or something. He refuses to nurse with a cover and tries to play with it.
    How can I get him back to normal? Lol or is it just a phase that has to pass? If I stay out for long enough will he nurse eventually or just starve til I go home? Any and all advice much appreciated! TIA
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Default Re: very distractable baby

Most likely just a phase that will pass. Mine went through a period where we had to retreat from crowds to nurse while out, because she just couldn't concentrate when there were so many other fun things to look at! In our case, it only lasted a few weeks. I always did make it a point to find a quieter place to nurse her when she was hungry, though--she and I were both more comfortable that way.

I am in a similar boat. My son was a happy, productive nurser until about 2 weeks ago. He now can't stay on the breast for more than 2 minutes while awake. He seems to nurse just to take the hunger edge off and then he wants to get back to playing. Problem is that within 15 minutes, he's crying out of hunger again. We are both pretty sick of one another right now. I am hoping this is just a little phase and not the start of a strike or weaning.

Totally a phase, totally also in the same boat! Except, every day is different for us. Some days no problems, some days acts offended if I offer breast when she isn't sleepy and is awake! I'm so glad both of you are posting on this, I was feeling pretty rejected by baby.

The only thing that is semi-working in the past few days is that we are feeding sitting up in a chair, with baby sitting right next to me and nursing that way. She is totally sitting up just like she would be on the floor, and she seems to like that. She's 100% in control that way, she doesn't like to be held in cradle and if she's awake side-lying is out because she usually just rolls herself all over the place and takes a few sucks. Luckily we nap nurse 2x day and bedtime nurse and she eats great then.
    and Mama to two little girls