Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No nipple movement with electric pump, manual works fine

Default No nipple movement with electric pump, manual works fine

I have occasionally used a manual pump for relieving engorgement but am about to need to pump more often and would like to use my electric pump. I've never had trouble with the manual pump, but the electric doesn't seem to do anything. My nipple barely moves, much less squirts milk, even on the highest setting.

I use the same shield that I use with the manual (they are both the same brand and parts are interchangeable). I have even started the flow with the manual then switched to electric, with no results.

I checked that the tube is connected on both ends, the portal to the other side is closed, and even had my mechanically-minded husband double-check behind me.

Suggestions on what to try next?

Default Re: No nipple movement with electric pump, manual works fine

It sounds like your electric pump isn't working. You could try changing out the replaceable parts (membranes, valves), and if that doesn't work, give the manufacturer a call.

Is this a brand new pump or a “new to you” pump?

Pumps are like cars or any other machine. Their motors wear out, some are 'lemons' to begin with, and sometimes there is even something wrong with a particular model and they have to be recalled.

Sometimes it is that a pump is not right for that mom. The flange is way too big or too small, or the cycle of that particular pump does not work well for that particular mom.

However, if there is NO suction at all, or not enough to even move your nipple, that sounds as if something is clearly up with the pump. I think that, at least for some pumps, there is a device for testing suction on a pump, but you will have to ask the manufacturer what they suggest.

Forgot I posted this. Hubbie figured it out: the plastic cover on the motor was loose. It was a new one, from a med supply company, so I was going to take it back and look like an idiot.

I was about to say, is the plastic cover loose? That's what happened to me on my first day back at work and I nearly left work to go buy a new pump!!