Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Supply @ 14 days

Default Re: Supply @ 14 days

My oldest son refused my right side much more than the left, and weaned off the shield on my left breast around two weeks before he weaned off the shield on my right. I never understood exactly why. My second child had no preference, and my daughter struggled with the left side at first but now prefers the left!

Pain and discomfort for sure inhibit letdown! The hormones invloved in let down and production may not function 'properly' when the body is under strain. That is in part why "laid back" nursing was such a break through, it got moms out of positions that strained the back, neck and shoulders.

I'm really interested in the laid back nursing thing but I can't quite see it working for us. I have to hold my breast out of his nose because otherwise it smothers his face. It's just floppy and dense and large.... so as I'm picturing it, if I laid back I am not sure A) How I'd position him. I'm a small person and my breasts will easily dangle all the way to my lap when full if I am sitting upright. So, I don't know where I could put him without literally having to hold him up with my forearm strength which isn't sustainable, or well... I don't know. And B) How I would keep him from faceplanting in a breast and smothering!

All in all I am unable to find a position I can nurse in that isn't quite painful for one or more parts of me. I know, I'm like the Princess and the Pea here.

We bought a used sling because the moby is too hot for this NC summer heat, but then I got home and googled it and apparently it's among the more unsafe slings: An old thing called an Over the Shoulder Baby holder. The website has pictures from the 80's!
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 15th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Have you seen this picture for laid-back nursing? (I'd be really surprised if Meg hasn't posted this link already, as I first saw this picture through one of her posts, but in case she hasn't, here it is!) http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Yes, definitely a comfortable position is important!

That's so great that he latched, apifera. I'm a big believer in the casual approach. My LO went on a nursing strike when she had a cold and I got completely freaked out about it. I read through the kelly mom back to breast recommendations, took some deep breaths, told myself that LO WOULD get back to breast, and then tried to be as casual as I possibly could when offering the breast. It worked!

Yep, she linked it. We tried it then and we tried it again today ... baby got very frustrated and grunty. He WANTS to nurse, he just doesn't know how to get the mechanics right. We just ended up with him sleeping on my chest and that's ok! We'll try again, but my nipples are all over the place. It's like trying to wrangle squid, and he's just one little baby!

I did some googling and this thread could have been written by me: http://www.mothering.com/community/t...es-please-help

A lot of great suggestions there, followed up by issues she had that I am having now. Thought I'd link it rather than rehashing it here.

"i have extremely large, floppy, "national geographic" boobs. it's hard to put them in the right position for nursing" --- About sums it up.

I haven't posted on this thread yet but at seven pages I was curious. I think it's great you keep posting back! We're all on here because we had one issue or another. I'm still here because I thoroughly enjoy helping other women succeed at breastfeeding. You're are doing absolutely wonderful in your continued efforts to breastfeed! I really feel you on the huge floppy boobs! Everywhere I looked in those early weeks were pictures of women with small, ridiculously perky breasts nursing baby with one hand free! Nursing was a two handed job for me for months. I had to hold them up away from his nose. There was no magic position that didn't smother him, just my hand. The link you posted had some great ideas. I particularly like the holes in a bra or tank. Could you find a cheap one at the good will? Are you helping him by placing the nipple near his mouth or trying to do the crawl thing? I think some of the info on laid back nursing gives the idea that baby will always latch on himself but there's nothing wrong with spring the breast in a position that he can easily get to. Also the mother in the picture is far more reclined than I ever was. I did a 10-15° angle at most, just enough for gravity to weigh him down flatter and take the painful curve out of my shoulders. I used my regular pillow to support my arm just a little since I was still holding most of his weight at that angle. Since you're using a futon, can you prop you're feet up on a box or coffee table, and scooch your hips forwards slightly, using a pillow to lean on so that doesn't hurt, to get that slightly reclined position? I sat like that in a rocking chair with my feet up on the couch quite often. I really hope you hang in there mama! I know you can do it! Ds spent MANY hours crying at the breast in those early months but I know he'd consider it worth it considering how much he loves them now.

Hi Zaynethepain, thanks for posting.

I just ordered two nursing bras that look like they have good support. I'm hoping that will help with the positioning thing.

Just got out of a weight check where the ped basically made me tell her I understand that sleeping with my baby puts him at risk for SIDS. This is something that is on my mind a lot and it really upset me! My understanding is that LLL recommends bed sharing because it facilitates breast feeding. I'd like to know where the medical establishment gets their proof that I'm basically putting my child at risk for death. Sorry for the off topic rant.

ah, yes, 10 mins would be a slow let down! and totally it makes sense that it's about stress and not being able to find a comfortable position. i hope some of the above suggestions work for you.

re: bedsharing - LLL does not have an official policy. there are safe & unsafe ways to do it, according to the research that looks at it (mckenna's, in particular). the studies that show risk lump planned & unplanned, safe & unsafe bedsharing together. breastfeeding cuts SIDS risk by half, and bedsharing promotes breastfeeding. so many many LLL mamas do it and recommend it. i thought that bedsharing put babies at risk for suffocation, not for SIDS, but a lot of the research conflates the two, so maybe to your ped those are the same things.

i imagine you've seen this but just in case you haven't: http://cosleeping.nd.edu/

sometimes i find it better not to mention things i think aren't my doctor's business, like where baby sleeps. in fact i don't think i've ever had that convo with a doc. other things i end up thinking it's good for me to "educate" the doc on, like when i'll start solids, especially when the way i'm doing it is in line with the doctor's professional organization's recommendations
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I have a meeting to lead today so just have a second but real quick:

"laid back" aka biological nurturing does NOT mean mom has to LAY back. It only mean, reclined, which means, any position that is not with moms back straight up and down like the classic "typist" position, and not hunched over baby. It can be done in a straight back chair. It can be done sitting on your futon leaning against the wall (some pillows behind you would be nice.) You can get baby latched And THEN lean back. Baby can be in ANY position. In other words, this is a versatile position. Experiment as you like with it.

Womanly art mentions fennel as helping with "milk release problems" the book Making More Milk may have more info as might kellymom.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    i thought that bedsharing put babies at risk for suffocation, not for SIDS, but a lot of the research conflates the two, so maybe to your ped those are the same things.
    SIDS is not the same thing as suffocation. Unsafe co-sleeping increases the suffocation risk, safe co-sleeping decreases the SIDS risk.

It drives me a little bonkers when docs conflate suffocation and SIDS, because the fear-mongering about bedsharing often drives people to unintentionally fall into sleeping arrangements that are even less safe, like co-sleeping on a couch or a recliner.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been looking into fennel. I might give it a try. Funnily enough baby was conceived in the city of Funchal, Portugal. Funchal means Fennel in Portuguese!
    Having done more reading you ladies are right. I hadn't seen that link Auderey, thanks. Dr Sears has some great stuff too. Bedsharing just feels safer to me. Babies need to be held and nurtured, not tucked away for parents convenience.

Meg, ah that would make more sense. Duly noted!