Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Supply @ 14 days

Default Re: Supply @ 14 days

Today the LC was very helpful. In terms of supply she said I'm not in the danger zone so not to worry. However when I told her I'm still bleeding at week three she suggested I see my OB because it could be I still have a bit if placenta, which could explain why I'm struggling a little. I did call my OB. They said I should not still be bleeding and will see me next week. Little freaked out because I was under the impression I could bleed for up to six weeks?

Anyway we're making some progress. Baby still doesn't suck correctly but will latch to the shield. I am going to try giving his next bottle through the shield with a syringe. It's time baby learns where the milk comes from!

Meg: he does get some milk but at the LC today it turned out to be only about 18 ml even after bein latched and drinking for a good half hour. Better than nothing!

There's a difference between bleeding and lochia - as far as I know lochia up to around 6 weeks is normal (and that's certainly been my experience). Initially it does look like bleeding but at some point it transitions to being more orangey-brown. So if what you're having still looks like blood, maybe that's what is worrying your LC/OB? Anyway, no harm in having the OB check you out.

That's great that you had 18 ml of milk transfer - definitely better than nothing! Keep in mind that a single weigh-feed-weigh represents only that particular nursing session. It's entirely possible that baby could be getting more at other nursing sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post
    Today the LC was very helpful. In terms of supply she said I'm not in the danger zone so not to worry.
    aswesome. this is also what it seems like from what you report here.

Meg: he does get some milk but at the LC today it turned out to be only about 18 ml even after bein latched and drinking for a good half hour. Better than nothing!
    darned tootin'!!! you are doing great.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It has never had the characteristics of Lochia. It has been bright red then stopped and then bright red, then stopped... the advice nurse asked if I have been overdoing it. I am an intense person in more than one aspect of my life, lol... so I am a poor judge of whether or not what I've done is overdoing it. But anyway, I mention it because it apparently if it IS a retained placenta piece it can affect output.

Baby just had an entire feeding at the breast. I latched him and kept him interested with the syringe until I had letdown (it took ten minutes!!!) and then he drank for a while. He didn't require a bottle afterwards! First time EVER!

The syringe trick is brilliant. If I ever meet another mom in my situation I am totally suggesting it.

Oh and... Baby is 9lbs1 oz now!! That's a two lb gain.

Baby just had an entire feeding at the breast. I latched him and kept him interested with the syringe until I had letdown (it took ten minutes!!!) and then he drank for a while. He didn't require a bottle afterwards! First time EVER!

Oh and... Baby is 9lbs1 oz now!! That's a two lb gain.
    That's terrific!!

I totally forgot, I also did the syringe in/under the shield thing as an instant reward to keep baby nursing.
    Hang in there! you are doing so good and sounds like you have a great, observant breastfeeding helper.

hope things go good with doctor! wow if you have retained placenta-heck yeah, that messes with milk production, maybe slows letdown(?) cause it messes with the hormones.

awesome!!you are so close to being done with all this hard stuff.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm really not. We're getting nowhere. today all he does is scream when I try to latch him and he's had two bottles of formula because I dropped my entire supply on the floor in the kitchen accidentally. I'm just beyond frustration

I dropped my entire supply on the floor in the kitchen accidentally.
    Sorry mama, that is so frustrating!

I do want to say, though, that babies who are a few weeks old do sometimes scream all day, whether breastfeeding is going well or not. A step forward, a step or two back - that may be how things are for the time being. Hang in there.

It really is disappointing.

I know I have been whining a lot here and you ladies have been great with the encouragement. We had two really successful feedings yesterday and I was so encouraged. I thought we had rounded the corner. Every story I've read or heard said that once baby got it baby GOT it. And that was that. This is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do and I'm really suffering for it. And my 5 year old is feeling really neglected but I can't seem to get out of this wash rinse repeat cycle. If baby cries every time he sees the breast by tomorrow I may just give up. His big sister did that and I began to feel as if I was forcing something horrible on her and I won't do that to him.

We're doing everything right... I think. We're certainly trying hard. Surely I can give myself a break from the guilt trip if this is a failure.