Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Supply @ 14 days

Default Re: Supply @ 14 days

Okay. Didn't mean to put stress on you about recording every mL! Also I would ignore the weight you got by weighing yourself with and without baby. Way too inaccurate. Anyway you're getting another weight on Friday, right? I presume on the same scale? Naked? That will give you more information. I think what you could do is, if baby falls asleep at the bottle and wakes up half an hour later, for example, give him a bit more then. Especially in the evening hours it is very normal for a baby this age to "cluster feed," ie basically spend hours nursing on and off but still rather continuously, if that makes sense. A newborn will eat 10 to 12 times per day OR MORE, so don't feel you have to limit it to 10 times per day, if you have the milk to spare and he is demanding it!

I have just looked at my dr's online medical charts for me... apparently someone put a note that I have decreased milk supply. I pumped 23 oz yesterday... he will be 3 weeks tomorrow.
    wouldn't this 'diagnoses' probably be from when baby was born, due to the weight loss? or maybe they put that is so you can see an ibclc? Often there needs to be 'clinical reason' to see an ibclc. or to get the pump?
    or Maybe they had to put that in your record because your baby was given formula and they had to justify that intervention? Maybe they put that in because you told them you thought you had low milk production?

I have NEVER heard that a 3 week old baby must get 32 ounces of breastmilk. According to the breastfeeding textbook Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple, daily breastfed baby intake/milk production typically increases from basically 0 on day one to about 19 ounces by day 7. Then it slowly keeps creeping up to end up between 25-35 ounces per day at 4-6 weeks. And then it stays pretty much the same from then on.

I tried pumping around the clock every 2 hours or less for a few days and didn't get any more than usual, so I went back to every 21/2 to 3 hours ... I am sort of at a loss for what I can do at this point, and rather worried I'm drying up already.
    You are certainly not ‘drying up.’ Why would you, if you are pumping that often plus nursing? Output up or down day to day is normal.

also, if you want to stimulate more milk production, then you need to pump past when you're getting milk (increase demand) repeatedly over time. quitting at 10 mins each time, when that's when the milk ends, tells your body that that's enough. i always got a second let down at 23 mins, so i pumped to 26. but you do need to figure out why pumping is hurting so much! likely at least some of it is having it turned up so high. the instructions on my ameda were to start as low as it goes, then gradually turn up, and as soon as it hurt, turn it back down a smidge so it didn't hurt.

and again - you ARE doing this!!!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So I've been pumping up to about half an hour the last few times. No second letdown yet. I'll keep that up and see if it helps. I am usually ahead about two feeds, but he's been clusterfeeding tonight and I'm not ahead anymore... so it's likely he'll get some formula at least once tonight. And I halved the strength and found I still get just the same amount. Less pain too! So after a nice hot bath and some Lanolin I am feeling like a new woman.

The awesome news is that he latched and drank for about 15 minutes. I noticed that when my husband is around I let down more often. I think it's because I'm more relaxed because I know he'll help if anything should come up. He's really like a second set of hands. He helps me with positioning and holds baby if the shield comes off. So I think for a while I'll probably only offer the breast when he's available. Just to take some of the pressure off of us both.

I can't tell you ladies how much I appreciate all your help and advice.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 10th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post

The awesome news is that he latched and drank for about 15 minutes. I noticed that when my husband is around I let down more often. I think it's because I'm more relaxed because I know he'll help if anything should come up. He's really like a second set of hands. He helps me with positioning and holds baby if the shield comes off.
    This is wonderful! That's really great.

In terms of the second letdown while pumping, it may take several sessions (or more) of the extended pumping to get the second letdown. And even if you don't, the extra stimulation is still good for stimulating supply.

You know, honestly it's fine if baby gets some formula here and there. Formula IS problematic when given in too-large quantities or instead of nursing baby or pumping - in those cases it poses a serious threat to supply. But for someone who is working so hard on building up supply and feeding baby, as you are, and using formula only when needed and in appropriate quantities - not as a substitute but truly as a supplement - this is exactly the situation that formula should be for. There are plenty of mothers who have used formula in this way and gone on to eventually exclusively breastfeed their babies.

that is awesome news! like we said - you ARE doing this
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

*ignore, double post.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 12th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.

Baby has been eating more than I can produce the last 24 hours. He's had 3 2 oz bottles of formula. My day resets at 1 PM.
    Bear in mind I have pumped 12 times in the last 24 hours. I am going half an hour each time and not producing more after ten minutes. This is the most formula he has had in his entire life. I honestly feel like the more I pump the less I get! I've made 25 ozs every day for the last few days, but if I pump more frequently I get more fragmented and smaller bottles and can't keep up with his feeding demands. How detrimental is it to go 3 hours between pumping, really?

It’s not detrimental. Or at least, exhausting yourself beyond human tolerance may be MORE detrimental.

When a baby cannot nurse, and mom is pumping, mom is trying to stimulate the breasts/remove milk about as often as a baby normally would nurse. If you are trying to build production, maybe a little more, If possible. Ok. Babies take breaks from nursing that are longer than 3 hours, so not pumping exactly every three hours is ok, as long as you are still pumping with the frequency a newborn would nurse-OR AS CLOSE TO THAT AS YOU CAN. Pumping 10 times a day is excellent, if baby is not nursing at all. But your baby is nursing still-correct? So pumping 6-8 times, or less, may be all you can do. it may be all you need, depending on how often baby nurses and how well. OK. in any case, You have to find the balance that works FOR YOU.

As far as not keeping up-ok. Remember that what a baby takes by bottle may be more than baby needs. Keep bottles feedings SMALL and FREQUENT and SLOW.

Formula into baby “increasing” is not the end of the world. It’s really ok.

Remember that you are also nursing-if you are still. Baby is getting something while nursing. So what you pump is not necessarily all the milk you make per day.

and again, it takes awhile for your body to increase production - more than 24 hours, often. so don't give up yet. also, baby is now 3 weeks, right? so it sounds like this might be the three week growth spurt? just HANG IN THERE!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13