Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Supply @ 14 days

Default Re: Supply @ 14 days

The fact that you pumped 28 oz is great! And suggests that you don't have a "medical" reason for low supply, and that if you pump enough, you will produce plenty. Not every mother gets the "full" feeling, so I don't think that's a good guide. How is baby's weight gain? How much supplement is the "odd bottle of formula"? If baby is getting only an occasional supplement and is gaining well, that means you ARE making enough milk. Which 23 oz may well be. And if you pump more, as auderey points out, you should increase your output. I wouldn't fixate too much on the number 32. That is really on the high end of normal or even above normal, depending on who you ask. I think it's a bit unfortunate that your doctor's office is focusing on 32 and labeling you with low milk supply - because it's making you doubt yourself. You can do this! You ARE doing this! It's great that baby latched 3 times! You will get there. I know it's hard not to focus on the numbers when you're pumping, but really - if you were nursing you wouldn't know how many ounces baby was getting, all you would know is whether baby's diaper output looks good and whether baby is gaining. So those are the things to focus on.

By the way, are you doing hand compressions either during or after pumping? What about power pumping?

Baby is gaining only half an oz a day. The LC is going to reweigh him friday to see if he's doing better, and if not we'll have to go back to the Ped. He was down an lb when we left the hospital, which he gained back and then some over the weekend after we left the hospital, but obviously the gain has slowed quite a bit.

He's had maybe six 2 oz bottles of formula since he was born. The time I got 28 was a few days ago.... I usually get 22-24 oz a day.

I know I'm sort of getting a complex over this, but I've seen four LCs and the baby's ped and well, there's all the info I read here and online... I think Meg said it best when she said I've got information overload!

Anything special about the day you got 28 oz? Can you replicate the pumping pattern of that day, or the few days prior to that?

I do think you are doing a great job - I know it's hard to take a step back and see that right now, but the fact that you are giving your baby that much expressed milk is wonderful!

I forgot to add that I do compress ions but I don't think I'm doing them right. And I've tried power pumping once. I should do it more often.

How long should I Pump after the last drops? Generally there's nothing else coming out after ten minutes max. I sometimes try to initiate a second let down but it doesn't usually happen. How long should my pumping sessions be in general?

Thanks for the encouragement.

Okay, so you're stopping after ten minutes? Or are you going longer than that? 10 minutes is short for a pumping session. "Average" is 15-20 minutes, longer for some mothers. Of course you need to balance this against everything else you're trying to do - taking care of your newborn and getting baby to the breast. Often mothers can get a second letdown with continued pumping, with a second round of milk. I haven't used the Symphony, I know on the PISA there's a button you can press that switches the pump into letdown mode, if there's something similar on the Symphony you could try that. Or just keep pumping. Even "pumping dry" helps stimulate supply.

What do you do while pumping? Stress and anxiety can inhibit pump output. So often it's better if you're not watching to see how much is coming out. Reading, watching TV or a movie, listening to music, watching baby, breathing exercises can all be ways to distract you from pump output (not to mention make pumping less boring!).

Hand compressions: Go to YouTube and type in "hand compression." There are videos on there that might be helpful.

I have been stopping at ten because going longer doesnt produce anything.
    my left is very fast... i get over two ozs in less than five minutes and then it just seems done. At ten minutes I press that button to try and get another letdown but nothing comes. If you've seen my other thread youll see i seem to have isssues with let down anyway... and right now I'm pretty close to giving up. My nipples feel like razorblades and broken glass are rubbing up against them. I feel like all I do is pump and yet I'm only at 17 oz and I have four more hours to get more before the day resets and every time I latch baby with the shield I don't let down and he gets frustrated. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. And it's not for lack of trying!

You are doing awesome. And working really hard is right! I think you are close.

Pumping shouldn't hurt so much! I may have missed it, but have you been properly fitted for pumping flanges? How is the suction on your pump? Turning it so high that it hurts won't yield you more milk, just pain.

Sometimes the second letdown may happen later than 10 minutes into a session--I pump for twenty minutes, and often my second letdown doesn't occur until around the 15-18 minute mark. Still, what is important is the overall stimulation to the nipples, even if you don't immediately produce a second letdown.

I also just wanted to let you know that I am one of those women who never felt engorged/full in the early days, and did not have a low supply. Don't panic about that part of things.

Thanks Sonogirl. I guess I've technically been fitted- the LC in the hospital before we left handed me three different sizes, but the 20 is the one she picked to show me how to use the pump so I think that sort of counts, lol.

I must admit I do turn it to max, or slightly under max. It's a habit at this point. I'll try it on lower to see how I do.

I sat on the pump for 25 minutes just a bit ago and didn't have another let down. I'll keep trying though.

And upon redoing the numbers, I made 25 and he drank 20... so if anything, upon looking back at the week, he's drinking about 20 and I'm NOT making too little. So I guess I should try to feed him more since he's not gaining? All the literature says not to force baby to eat if he doesn't want more so we just never pushed it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post

And upon redoing the numbers, I made 25 and he drank 20... so if anything, upon looking back at the week, he's drinking about 20 and I'm NOT making too little. So I guess I should try to feed him more since he's not gaining? All the literature says not to force baby to eat if he doesn't want more so we just never pushed it.
    That's great! You may have covered this in another thread, but how are you doing the feedings? How many feedings a day and how much in the bottle? Are you using paced feeding techniques?

I think since baby's weight gain has been low, and you're making more than he's drinking, you could try adding in an extra feed.

I agree with sonogirl, pumping should not be painful. Do try to decrease the pump power. And perhaps revisit the flange fit when you see the IBCLC on Friday? Also have yourself and baby checked for thrush if changing the pump settings does not improve things.

I am starting to doubt my record keeping where it comes to his feeding. We try to feed on demand, as much as possible with bottles you have to take out and warm up. So in the wee hours of the morning and when we're exhausted, I think I am not writing things down correctly. On paper it looks like he eats 9-10 times a day, but he's hungry every 2 hours or LESS, and we end up giving him 70 here, 30 there, etc etc. I have to wonder if I'm just not record keeping well enough, even with my meticulous spreadsheet.

He was born 7 lbs 6 ozs. At the LC on Friday he was 7.13. I am pretty sure he hasn't gained much since then and isn't over 8 lbs yet, if our analog adult scale (weighing ourselves before and after holding baby). He falls asleep at the breast and the bottle a lot and we have to wake him up to feed.

So I guess we can say if we are UNDER estimating he eats about 10 times a day, about 2.5 ozs each. We do paced feeding but we are also doing "suck training" with the bottle, where we have to constantly tug on it to get him to suck the nipple back in.