Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Supply @ 14 days

Default Supply @ 14 days

Hi ladies. My LO will be 14 days tomorrow. I have been tracking my pumping output for two days. Day one was 23 oz and day two was 17. Kellymom suggests that I should be getting about 32 oz's a day at day 14. I'm pumping 8 times a day and taking Fenugreek. We are working on his latch issues, doing exercises 4 and 8 times a day to develop his suck (it's nearly non existent due to nipple confusion) and he's being put to the breast four times a day (with intent to work up to more) on the advice of an IBCLC, but he only stays on briefly- which is a huge improvement already!

I accidentally went for two five hour periods without pumping due to being out of the house yesterday and worry that I've already damaged my output (I went from 23 to 17.) So I am pumping every 2 hours today and have tried power pumping. Will more frequent pumping really help, or do I need to be doing more? I'm not getting as much as I should, right?

I also should mention that I am Hypothyroid and they lowered my dose immediately following delivery, so it is possible that I am slightly hypo right now. I normally take 100 mg a day of levothyroxine, but was up to 125 during pregnancy. I will be tested at my postpartum checkup. I am wondering if this could affect my supply negatively?

Sorry for the length and thanks for reading.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 4th, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Additional info

Default Re: Supply @ 14 days

Hi mama, don't beat yourself up about the two five hour periods where you missed pumping. The supply and demand equation works both ways. Pump less, your supply will drop. But pump more, and your supply will come back. Are you using a good pump? (Preferably a hospital-grade pump at this point.) Do the flanges fit well? In any case - the fact that you got 23 oz on day one is terrific! The average milk intake for a one-month old baby is 25 oz, so you're just about there. Yes, you had a bit less yesterday but you also pumped a bit less. And yes, more frequent pumping really will help! Remember that a newborn may be nursing 10-12 times per day or more. And the pump is often less efficient at stimulating supply compared to nursing. So even though 8 times a day is a LOT of pumping (especially with everything else you're working on) it may not be quite enough to get you to where you want to be. Just want to say though that I really admire you for doing all this - you're doing great! - and it WILL pay off!

Both hyper- and hypo-thyroidism can affect milk supply, so it's good that your thyroid function is being followed closely. However, you are hopefully not _too_ far off with your dose right now, so I think this is probably less of a factor than frequency of nursing.

you don't want to make a habit of those 5-hour breaks, so figure out what happened yesterday and make a plan so it doesn't happen again. but don't beat yourself up about it right now either. just get back to the pump regularly.

you ARE doing such a good job! it sounds like that IBCLC is really helping.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm renting a Medela Symphony. I am not sure how to tell if the shield fits. I have three different sizes. I tried the 27 and it made one of my nipples puff up to the size of a small plum. I tried the 20 and for some reason it's shorter so it can pull the nipple and areola less far? But that's what I'm using now. And I have I think a 30... and I tried that for a while but I feel like it got less suction.

How often do you need to change the membranes? I feel like in the last day or so the suck is weaker? I have it on max now. But the every 2 hours (with a 3 hour break!) has been paying off. My day resets at one PM and by 5 am this morning I was already at 18 oz! Yay!

Thanks ladies!
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 5th, 2013 at 06:46 AM.

Also wondering about my right breast with the much lower output. I've asked about it and been told it's normal, but it's 1 oz to the left's every two and the milk is much darker yellow. Does this indicate something? Am I not emptying it?

You're working with an IBCLC, right? You could have her watch you pump to evaluate the flange size. But basically, the nipple should move back and forth easily (ie, not rubbing against the side of the flange) but there should be a fairly snug fit so that the seal is good.

In terms of how often to change the membranes: experience varies. Definitely if you notice any drop in output (without a change in frequency), then change. Some mothers change according to a schedule, for example every month or every two months.

With regards to less output with the right breast: it's common for one breast to produce more than the other. Often babies will prefer one side to the other - usually the dominant side, but in other cases, for example with overactive letdown, babies may prefer the less active side. Given that your nursing sessions are brief, though, it seems less likely to be due to baby in this case, although it's possible that he is sucking more productively one the left side. I guess it's also possible that there's a pump problem on just one side - for example, you need different size flanges or one membrane is problematic (if you use the same membrane on the right side every time). If you don't think there's any pump issue then it's not something to be concerned about.

I have just looked at my dr's online medical charts for me... apparently someone put a note that I have decreased milk supply. I pumped 23 oz yesterday... he will be 3 weeks tomorrow.

I tried pumping around the clock every 2 hours or less for a few days and didn't get any more than usual, so I went back to every 21/2 to 3 hours ... I am sort of at a loss for what I can do at this point, and rather worried I'm drying up already.

I have just looked at my dr's online medical charts for me... apparently someone put a note that I have decreased milk supply. I pumped 23 oz in the last 24 hours... he will be 3 weeks tomorrow.

I tried pumping around the clock every 2 hours or less for a few days and didn't get any more than usual, so I went back to every 21/2 to 3 hours ... I am sort of at a loss for what I can do at this point, and rather worried I'm drying up already.

I should mention I pumped 10 times in the last 24 and he latched and drank three times to varying degrees.

23 oz is most of the 24-hour supply for a now 3 week old baby. who says you have decreased milk supply? do YOU think you have decreased milk supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post
    it'll take more than a few days to see a dramatic improvement on pumping like this ... at least 3, probably. your body needs time to ramp up.

I should mention I pumped 10 times in the last 24 and he latched and drank three times to varying degrees.
    hip hip hooray!

how's the work with the IBCLC going? what pump are you using now?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I feel like my supply has never gotten off to a good start. I've never had that telltale "full" feeling that lets you know when your milk comes in. I've been pumping since day two and I've never been over 28. I think they made that note because they told me that I should be making 32 right now. Baby has had the odd bottle of formula and it just kills me when I have to give it to him. So yeah I think it is low. Maybe not decreased. They wanted to give me Reglan but I have a history of depression and PPD so I don't think it's a good idea.

I'm using the Medela Symphony- rented from the hospital.