Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding newborn but pumping too!! Question

Default feeding newborn but pumping too!! Question

So when I give birth to my sweet baby and after a few weeks. I will be nursing my own and then pumping to supplement my friend adopted baby from Ethiopia. I never had to pump with any of my kids but here and there so anyone have any recommendations of when I can start pumping. I was thinking I would just pick two nursing sessions and pump and nurse at the same time..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Default Re: feeding newborn but pumping too!! Question

It's generally recommended that moms wait about 4-6 weeks before they start pumping. You want to give yourself and your newborn a chance to get nursing figured out, and to make sure your supply is roughly equivalent to your baby's needs before you add in pump sessions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Is your friend looking into induced lactation/adoptive nursing? Is she lining up other soucres for donated breastmilk?

I agree with mommal. You are doing a wonderful thing helping to feed your friends adopted baby, but protect your own nursing relationship with your baby first. Since you are an experienced nursing mom, you may well 'know' all is well earlier.

Due to the overproduction concern, I think pumping twice a day may be too much. It may be fine, but it may be too much...it really depends on how your body responds to that additional stimulation. I would suggest start out with pumping once a day at most. (after you know breastfeeding is going well) I am sure your friend will very much appreciate any amount of milk you can provide.

The baby might be close to 9-10 months old by the time they could possibly adopt her.. it is so hard. so really my milk will just be extra nutrient. They are very under nourished right now the baby is 6 months old and 10 pounds.. I don't think she is interested in induced lactation and they are having other supplements available. Most of the babies in her area have never even had cows milk or any milk at all. So she was thinking this maybe a good start. She is my bff so she only really trust my milk.. she know how I eat and treat myself.. but I kind knew I needed to wait awhile until we have established our nursing relationship. Just really confused how many times to pump, and how.. Once a day sounds like a good start when it is time.. I have with every other baby had a natural over supply.. But non of my kids ever took a bottle so pumping was never a thought..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones