Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Curious Question about Letdown

Default Curious Question about Letdown

This question has been in the back of my mind for awhile and never asked if anyone knew or not. I know the first milk that a baby recieves at each feeding is foremilk and later hindmilk, but what I'm wondering once you feel the let down can I assume the hindmilk is now forth comming or does it take a while longer for baby to get it, and if so how much longer? I can feel my letdown and I guess what I'm wondering is if once I get it if I can assume that baby is getting the hindmilk. Thanks in advance for any comments on this, cause I kinda wonder if I'm the only one who has wondered this!

Default Re: Curious Question about Letdown

That's a good question, but it doesn't have a clear answer. Hindmilk and foremilk is what breastmilk becomes as it sits waiting in the breast -- the fat literally separates and sort of rises and sticks to the tissues higher up in the breast. How much separation occurs, and how much foremilk there is versus hindmilk, is extremely variable, depending on the storage capacity of your breasts and time between feedings. How long after letdown until the hindmilk reaches your baby will depend on those factors, plus how quickly your milk flows and how quickly your baby eats. There is no reliable way to estimate when this happens.

Foremilk and hindmilk are both good things for a baby to eat. Problems may occur if they get out of balance and the baby consistently gets too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. We tend to see this happen if a mother has an overabundant milk supply or if she is switching breasts or ending feedings before the baby has finished eating.

The best way to make sure your baby is getting the right balance of both foremilk and hindmilk is to watch the baby, not the clock, and let him or her finish the first breast first.

Default Re: Curious Question about Letdown

I get that, so would a size A-B breast have less storage capacity per se? I know I have enough milk and always tend to feed on side per feeding cause ds falls asleep on one side always, and am only a B when breastfeeding and an A when not, but wonder if I could possible have overactive letdown or supply or both if thats possible , I never ever watch the clock and much less watch which side he feeds on. He gets what feels the most full at the time. Is this wrong?? I want to make sure he gets enough hindmilk since he is on the smaller side of the charts, from what I understand then is that let down is contractions that release the fat from the higher parts of the breasts am I wrong? Also my ds feeds( or goes to the breast) anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours at 7 mo, I'm know some of this is just comfort because I offer the breast if he falls, etc.. he's pulling up on stuff now a days.. so I assume he can get hindmilk as a result if I'm not swiching sides all the time right?
    Last edited by MomO4; November 25th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.