Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you temporarily wean for 10 days?

Default Re: Can you temporarily wean for 10 days?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    have you tried hand expression ever? it can increase pump output for some moms.

More importantly, it is a quick way to get some milk out, and can be done during a quick trip to the restroom, for example, without dragging a pump out. Besides milk production issues, suddenly not expressing your milk as needed could lead to plugs or even mastitis, which you do not want to be dealing with on a business trip in another country!
    No, I never have. But, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    What does "hardly anything" mean to you? A nursing baby generally requires just 1.5 oz of milk per hour, so it's pretty typical for a mom's yield at the pump to be just a couple of oz.

Make sure your shields are properly sized. That can really improve the amount you are able to remove.
    When I tried a few months back, I would say I got anywhere between 1/2 ounce one time, and 2 ounces another time. How do you know if shields are right size?

The nipple should move freely in the collection tube. If the nipple rubs painfully against the sides of the tube, that indicates a too-small shield. If there is a loss of suction, the shield is probably too large. Either problem can result in lowered pump effectiveness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The nipple should move freely in the collection tube. If the nipple rubs painfully against the sides of the tube, that indicates a too-small shield. If there is a loss of suction, the shield is probably too large. Either problem can result in lowered pump effectiveness.
    Thanks, I didn't know that...and do have the right size then.

some people just don't respond well to the pump; there are lots of things you can do to troubleshoot but on occassion nothing rally works. hand expression often works better for those people. and you will want to keep the milk flowing while you're away so you have supply left when you return, one way or another.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.