Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you temporarily wean for 10 days?

Default Can you temporarily wean for 10 days?

Hi!

My daughter is 8 months and a super-keen nurser.

I am getting stressed because I am supposed to go away to work at the end of September for 10 days. I don't want to make her sad and I love to nurse her....HOWEVER, I need to work and, as I work freelance, if I don't go on this job, I won't be asked to do another with this company - and there aren't a lot to choose from in what I do. So, I need to do the job.

Although it'll be very, very hard for my husband and worse for my daughter when I suddenly disappear with my boobies for 10 days - can I restart again when I come back, if she still wants to do that/remembers (which I imagine she would remember).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Any other travelling working mothers out there?

Cheers,
    "Mother"

Default Re: Can you temporarily wean for 10 days?

Yes, you can definitely start nursing again, provided that baby is willing! You will need to maintain supply somehow while you're gone- what's your plan for doing that?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama, welcome to the forum. I'm a working mother, and have traveled for work on multiple occasions. I've worried that baby wouldn't be interested in nursing when I got back, but that's never been the case - it's actually so cute when I get back and they nurse and are so happy!

As mommal says, you'll need to maintain your supply while you're gone. Which means pumping about as often as you would normally feed baby - every few hours, at least. I always plan ahead to figure out how I'm going to fit in my pumping breaks - for example, calling the place I'll be to figure out what kind of accommodations they have, figuring out what my schedule will be so that I can plan when I'll pump, etc. Have you been pumping at all up to now? You'll want a good double-electric pump. Also, are you planning to leave expressed milk for your LO while you're gone? If so, you might want to start slowly working on building up a stash in the freezer now.

Yup - just start pumping now to make up a stash for when you're away for DH to feed her.

Get a portable cooler or something for when you're away so you can store your pumped milk. No reason to waste it! Plan on pumping at least as often as she nurses now, probably 2 more times, to keep your production up.

At that age, she won't have a problem crawling into your lap the moment you get home and nursing again.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Can't you just take the baby with you?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Can't you just take the baby with you?
    My thoughts exactly! Maybe take DH too
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

i thnk it's possible if it's necessary, but 10 days is a long time, both for you and for keeping the milk good. so i'd look seriously at taking the baby with you, and if that fails then think hard about what you're going to do with the milk. some people overnight the milk home in the middle of the trip so it can be frozen. pump & dump is so hard! but remember that breastmilk (or formula) still needs to be the primary food for your LO until 12 months, so you'll need to provide that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you all.

No, it's not possible to bring my family for a number of reasons: too far (Johannesburg, South Africa), client doesn't pay for families to tag along and won't appreciate it (don't want to lose client), long hours often 8am to 11pm workdays when my family would be 'stuck' on their own as Johannesburg isn't somewhere I'd like them to wander around probably (not safe as I understand).

I will start pumping now though and see how that goes. Previously when I've tried, I hardly get anything, not sure why. I have an electric Medela pump, not a double though.

On the job, I won't be able to predict when I can pump as I am 'on call' all day/evening and not up to me when I can take a break. I will be around others all the time also, so not like I can sit at 'my desk' and pump.

I will pump though as often as I get a break to do so and hope that my supply doesn't disappear in those 10 days...I am glad to hear others have successfully continued nursing after a trip away. That gives me hope. Thank you.

have you tried hand expression ever? it can increase pump output for some moms.

More importantly, it is a quick way to get some milk out, and can be done during a quick trip to the restroom, for example, without dragging a pump out. Besides milk production issues, suddenly not expressing your milk as needed could lead to plugs or even mastitis, which you do not want to be dealing with on a business trip in another country!

What does "hardly anything" mean to you? A nursing baby generally requires just 1.5 oz of milk per hour, so it's pretty typical for a mom's yield at the pump to be just a couple of oz.

Make sure your shields are properly sized. That can really improve the amount you are able to remove.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"