Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recurring Thrush

Default Recurring Thrush

This is at least the 4th time I have had thrush with my son and it is getting to be an issue. The first time I did homeopathic treatments (consumed garlic gloves, used gentian violet, used this prescription nipple cream), and he did a round of Nystatin. Second time, I took 150mg of fluconazole, and he did another round of Nystatin. This time, the thrush is SUPER bad and only in one nipple. He has no Nystatin left and I took my last single dose fluconazole yesterday? or the day before, and have gotten NO relief from it.

Is there anything homeopathic I can give him and ME to get rid of this, for lack of a better word, ****? I am SO tired of it interfering with my breastfeeding relationship with my son. If it isn't one thing or the other with us, I just -- I'm gonna lose my frigging mind.

I don't have insurance, so me going to a doctor is extremely costly and we don't have the extra funds for ANYTHING these days, since we're surviving on leftover FAFSA and student loans. Thank you.
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

Default Re: Recurring Thrush

Have you tried grapefruit seed extract? You can take it internally (dilute in juice, it's very bitter), dilute it with water and apply to your nipples, and you can use the diluted stuff to swab the baby's mouth. Not sure if probiotics are in your budget, but you can use the same capsules for yourself and baby (just open one and sprinkle the powder either on your nipple or a finger for him). It sounds like you've only taken single doses if fluconazole, right? That might be part of the problem with the recurrence - you might just be beating it back a little, only to have it resurface. Dr. Newman recommends daily doses for a full week after you have pain relief, to make sure it's gone. I know it's an expensive drug though

The only other things I can think of are to air out your nipples as much as possible, wear bras only once before washing, use hot water and vinegar in your wash. I hope you can beat this mama, thrush is no fun

Default Re: Recurring Thrush

Perhaps you can call your doctor's office, explain your financial issues, and see if they will re-prescribe the fluconazole without another visit. Or maybe even get a sample of fluconazole (?)

Another otc option that has been used by mothers for ages is gentian violet. Yes, it too MUST be used in diluted form. 1% solution, not 2%. Newman explains the usage of gv in the linked protocol.

To stop recurrences, carefully cleaning EVERYTHING you come in contact with that could be harboring thrush may be needed. You could consider diet changes. Treatment of other close family members and even pets (no I am not kidding) is sometimes needed.

newman thrush protocol: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP