Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: homemade remedy needed for nipple cream

Default homemade remedy needed for nipple cream

do any moms know of any homemade remedies for nipple soreness from bf. I EBF but would like a homemade remedy instead of spending a lot on store nipple creams. I am trying to penny pinch

Default Re: homemade remedy needed for nipple cream

I would start with just plain olive oil. I say that because I really love the Motherlove nipple cream and olive oil is the first ingredient in that. Motherlove is nice because its not runny so if you wanted to get really crafty, you could experiment with mixing it with coconut oil, shea butter or beeswax (Motherlove contains those last two, which presumably give it it's semi-solid consistency). If you melt that stuff together in the right proportions with olive oil, you should be able to achieve a nice creamy mixture when it cools down.

I really liked cold things on my sore nipples too. A damp washcloth stored in the fridge can feel really good.

thank you!

i used sesame oil (high grade cooking oil, was not cheap but lasted a while), for just chapped or sore it worked well.

I think mine are just sore. I am only 3.5 weeks into bf.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monte.hamilton View Post
    I think mine are just sore. I am only 3.5 weeks into bf.
    I think then the sesame oil will help you, that was the time I used it. I would put it on right after nursing and whenever it is uncomfortable. Probably not right before nursing, that would be too much. Baby did not mind the flavour at all. It has a slight odour but not unpleasant. Just be sure to buy a good organic qualitiy, the smallest bottle so it does not go off.
    I used it for everything BTW! Cleaning babies bum, anything where one might use an oily wipe as I did not want to purchase the moist tissues and use them on baby.

Your own breastmilk left on your nipples may well help. Can't get cheaper than that.

Some folks suggest coconut oil.

That said, I would caution against false economy. You are saving your family a ton of money by breastfeeding. Purified lanolin has been shown to be very helpful for many breastfeeding mothers as a barrier ointment that promotes moist wound healing, which is why so many breastfeeding moms have used it for decades. Yes it seems pricey for a little tube, but that little tube will probably last way longer than you will need it, because you need only apply a scant, thin layer and typically nipple creams are only needed in the early weeks as mom and baby figure out latch and positioning. And after that it is useful as a diaper cream.

wow thank you I was lathering myself up with it not knowing only to apply a scant since I am new to bf! gives me a new perspective

Just for perspective on the "a little goes a long way" thing -- I also am a big fan of Motherlove nipple cream, spent $8 on one jar, and in a year of breastfeeding used half the jar. Every penny on that jar was well spent. I also shelled out like $15 for the ameda comfort gels in the very beginning, and yes it seemed like a huge splurge ... but, those things SAVED me in the early weeks - and I mean they saved my nipples, and saved my breastfeeding. It's worth the expense if they help you to continue nursing.

Thank you I will look into it =)