Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh Where did my milk go?

Default Uh Oh Where did my milk go?

I am not sure if this is the right place for this thread.
    My daughter is 4 months and I have been back to work full time since 5/28. Up until today my pump output has exceeded her needs. I do not pump on the weekends since I am nursing on demand when I am with Ellie. During the week I pump 3 times a day:
    First thing in the morning after Ellie eats
    Between 10 am and 11 am
    Between 3pm and 4pm
    I was getting about 3.5 oz in the morning from one side in about 15 minutes and the daytime pumps would yield about 5.5oz total. (12-15 min per side)
    So I was easily pumping 14.5oz a day and Ellie typically eats 12 oz while I am at work (3 3oz bottles at daycare and one from my husband before I get home)
    The schedule has been exact because I am out of the office for chunks of time and cannot always pump. I think I have missed about 4 sessions since being back to work but never two days in a row and never more than 1 missed session a day
    This morning after i nursed Ellie it took me 35 minutes to get just under 3oz.
    My mid morning pump yielded barely 3oz with 20 min per side.
    I have to get through today and tomorrow and then I have a 4 day weekend on this.
    last night Ellie was nursing more than normal like she was not getting enough milk and the same thing happened this morning. In the morning she can rarely drain one side and today she ate from both sides for over 20 minutes. At night she comfort nurses alot before she goes to sleep but last night seemed like she was eating the whole time.
    My plan is to pump at my regular times in addition to feeding on demand unless there is a better way to up the supply?
    I supplemented for 5 weeks when Ellie was born and then wound up with oversupply and a mild case of mastitis so I would like to avoid that again.
    I have a freezer stash so I am not worried about supplementing yet but if this continues for more than a few weeks I would not have enough.
    Does anyone know the best way to fix this situation?

Default Re: Uh Oh Where did my milk go?

When pump output drops below what is desired, the best way to fix the situation is to pump more often, and for longer periods (if possible), using the best pump possible. Supply = demand, so if you demand more, you'll make more. It sounds like your workday routine has you pumping about every 5 hours, am I correct? If so, that's probably just not frequent enough to maintain the output you want. Aim for something more like every 2-3, if possible. If it's not, try pumping after nursing when you are home with your baby. Don't worry too much about provoking another oversupply situation- as time goes on, your body becomes a little less responsive to stimulation and it becomes much harder to kick yourself into oversupply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The sudden drop in supply makes me wonder if you're having a pump malfunction. Sometimes it's not that noticeable. First thing to try is to change out any replaceable parts, like valves and membranes. It can make a dramatic difference! Also, anything else new going on - are you taking any new hormonal birth control, any chance of being pregnant, other new medications including over the counter? Any chance your period might be on the way? Usually when I have a dramatic drop in supply it means I'm about to get my period. Agree with mommal that dips in supply are best countered with increased demand (ie more pumping or nursing).

And also, how many total stimulations (pumping AND nursing) are you getting every day? Is baby sleeping through the night or are you routinely getting long stretches with no milk removal?

Yeah - do you think your period might be coming back? How long do you pump for? I know that I got used to getting a lot of milk out in a short period of time due to oversupply at the beginning as well, and I realized that it would take longer as time went on. Something else that happened to me was that as time went on, I had to downsize my pump shields. I started out at the largest size and ended up using two sizes down from there by the time I was all done pumping. Also, have you replaced the little flaps on the horns? They are what creates the suction and can get little microcracks in them, which then leads to less output.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I am using the Medela Freestyle. It's only 2weeks old as my first one broke. I have 4 set ups and it has been the same with all so I don't think there is anything wrong but I can get done new parts this weekend.
    No new meds but ongoing med problems for a few weeks. Not sure about my period but I guess time will tell on that front.
    Ellie sleeps through the night so I nurse/pump first thing in the morning, twice at work, and almost non stop from the time I get home until Ellie goes to sleep (about 3 hours). I have a manual pump that I try to use at work as well when I don't have time for the whole shebang. Usually about 5 min a side. I try to do that at least once a day but I don't always have time. On the weekends Ellie nurses about every 3 hours rotating starting sides from 6am until 930pm. I pump for about 15 min on a side at work
    I don't know how much I can add at work. I think I can probably get in one more session although it will be shorter and not a consistent time. Not sure if that matters.
    When I was dream feeding her she slept less so I eliminated it and took advantage of the time to sleep but I can pump most nights after she goes to sleep before I do.
    I'm a little confused about scheduling for pumping. I thought if I did it around the same time everyday my body would adjust to the times? Or does that not matter?
    Also can I do anything this weekend since I have 4 days off? I was going to feed her as usual bit add in pumping my plan was to do it when I always do so my body knows what time of day I need milk but if there is a better way please tell me.
    I really want to make sure I am taking advantage of the time this weekend. I am having surgery on 7/19 so I really do t want to risk a drop off now and then.
    I'm sorry if this reply is a bit dicey but I am on my phone. Thanks for all the help!

I think it would help to add in that extra session at work, even if it's shorter and not consistent. And/or try to lengthen your pumping sessions just a bit, even if you are "pumping dry," but I would choose adding in another session to lengthening your current sessions if doing both is not possible. And I think adding in a pumping session before going to bed will be helpful as well. I know from your previous posts that you use that time between baby going to bed and you going to bed to get some things done around the house - do you think you could do any of that while hooked up to your Freestyle? Or, if you spend any time watching TV in the evening or hanging out with DH - hook yourself up to the pump during that time, or use your manual. Every little bit helps!

I think it does help to pump at roughly the same times, but it doesn't need to be _exactly_ the same times. Personally for me it would often end up being plus/minus half an hour, depending on what else was going on in my schedule. Again, more important to get the sessions in, than exactly what time they are. Same thing for the weekend - I think it would help to do some extra pumping, if you can do it at around the same time as you pump at work, fine, but if it doesn't end up being at the same time, that's okay too.

Okay so tomorrow I am going to try to pump at 10, 1 and 4. When I am in the office that shouldn't be a problem but when I have court I will be lucky to get two full sessions. On those days am I better off carving out time for two sessions where I pump until "empty" or three shorter sessions? Also, would I be messing myself up if I didn't do both sides with the manual pump? Like I may have 5-10 min where I can do one side and then another 5-10 min later in the day for the other side?
    If Ellie starts going to sleep earlier again I will be able to get in another pump session at night but the last three nights she has been nursing from whenever I get home until about 9;30 and then again from 10 -11. I get one break in the early session where I eat dinner. She has a little cold so once that clears up ill have my 2 hours of time.
    I've lost some weight so I have to get a new pump bra this weekend so I can pump while I get stuff done.
    Thanks again for the help!

I think what is best for you depends on you as an individual. Some moms will do better with 2 long, pump-until-empty sessions, others will do better with 3 shorter sessions. Try it both ways and see what works.

Are you using a manual pump for all your pumping? If so, please upgrade yourself to a good double electric! Manual pumps tend to be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to effectiveness. They're usually best for moms who need to pump only the very occasional bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal-I have a Medela Freestyle which I use for the 2 longer sessions. I use the manual on the shorter sessions and if I am pumping after nursing.