Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moving/Driving Cross Country with a 2 month old.

Default Moving/Driving Cross Country with a 2 month old.

We leave next weekend to move from AZ to TN... Its going be a long trip with my amazing 2 month old (Well, he'll be 2 months when we leave). I wanted to know if you have any advice for me? I'm a lil worried because he does like to eat non-stop all afternoon. Right now our plan is to leave in the middle of the night because that's when he sleeps the best... Anyway, im a FTM so this is all totally new to me and I will take any advice. Thanks!

Default Re: Moving/Driving Cross Country with a 2 month old.

I think the leaving time is a good idea. My oldest was miserable on long trips. He also never would take a pacifier. here is what helped:

If he needed to nurse, we stopped and nursed. Sometimes it was not the most convenient place to stop but it was better than enduring the screaming. Trips took longer.

Whenever baby was sleeping, it was GO time.

Whichever parent was not driving would sit in the back and entertain baby. We had a baby toy that looked like a worm and we waved it around and sang a silly song with many made up verses about "wiggly worm." This was 10 years ago and I can STILL sing that song in my sleep.

Clean pinky as a pacifier

Things that make odd sounds may jolt baby out of a fuss. Squeezing empty plastic water bottles make a nice loud crinkly sound my baby daughter likes.

plan for the trip to take WAY longer, unless you want to listen to screaming baby. we took a 4-hour trip at 6 weeks which took 6 hours on the way there (when we were under a deadline) and 8 on the way back (when we took it easy).

pumping in the car & bottle feeding worked for us, and my anatomy is such that i could also lean over the car seat to nurse sometimes. it wasn't comfortable and it's not the safest thing to do, but sometimes we make compromises, eh?

find some music your baby likes. mine was in to rock & roll at that age! loud, strong beat.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

oh yeah, and think ahead a little about gas - nothing sucks more than hitting the road as soon as baby is asleep only to have 1/4 tank of gas in the car ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yes, plan for it taking much longer. We have a 6 week old girl and at 4 weeks we took her on an 4.5 hr drive that took six. After a couple shorter drives that same afternoon, she was beyond done. In and out of the car too much and she just needed to find a home base in the hotel room. Now at 6 weeks, the car seat is not that much comfort to her. Be prepared to have no idea how she's going to react when you finally leave and listen to her schedule. Best of luck - Road trip!

Thank you for your advice! I really wish I would have known about these forums in the beginning... it would have helped me a lot!

Amen to that!