Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: follow up to my previous posts about power pumping, etc

Default follow up to my previous posts about power pumping, etc

Hi, I am the mother of an 8 mo who nurses a bit (basically a dream feeder, nurses one to two times a day, early am and once at night, ocassional otherwise) and I pump 6-7 times a day. I have struggled with supply averaging only 10-15 oz in the whole day lately from all those pumping sessions. I also am still pumping in the middle of the night, as that is my best and was averaging 40 mins a session. It was very time consuming and my best day was 26 oz. I had a few days in May at 20 oz per day, but none that good since.
    I did see a second lactation consultant who evaluated our latch (fine) my pump (PISA) fine and changed my flange size. She also evaluated my supplements and made a few tweaks. (Suggested I be consistent with goat's rue. I take a handful of supplements twice a day, basically everything from the Making more milk book.)
    However she agreed I have low production for whatever reason. The day before my appointmentwith her, I had started on domperidone. I saw a difference in 24 hours. It's been almost a week and I'm up to 22 oz a day. My understanding is the effect won't peak for 2-3 weeks. The biggest difference is I'm pumping as often but not as long. I can get a reasonable amount, 2-4 ounces in 20-30 minutes. This is fitting into my life at home and work much better, as I was spending an inordinate amount of time. I take 20 mg domperidone 3-4 times a day. Just thought I'd share in case it helps someone else. I'm hoping at this late date to be able to stop supplementing with formula and just do BM with gradual introduction of solids.
    I think my lo is slowly becomming more willing to nurse as she sees my supply is better. Poor thing had to work so hard and long for little reward!
    I'm not pushing dom,. just sharing. Exhaust other possibilities first but it is a gamechanger for me.

Default Re: follow up to my previous posts about power pumping, etc

Great job mama! You are really dedicated to your little one.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Great job! I remember your posts from before...you're very dedicated, and hopefully your hard-earned success will inspire others mamas!

Thank you for the positive feedback. I have learned so much and continue to learn.