Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how soon after each feed should i pump?

Default Re: how soon after each feed should i pump?

Here's the thing- let's say you've been doing a ton of pumping and get yourself into a place where you are making 3-4 oz an hour or something like that. Not a huge oversupply, right? Then you go back to work. And instead of nursing/pumping every 1-3 hours, you're routinely going 3 or more hours without removing milk. By the time you get to your pump, you're likely to be very uncomfortably full. And getting that full, that uncomfortable- that can lead to nasty things like engorgement, plugged ducts, mastitis... That's why moms are not encouraged to pump themselves into oversupply before a return to work, particularly if pumping opportunities at work are difficult to come by.

I would think that your supervisor would rather have you back in the office and taking more pump breaks than at home on FMLA trying to build a stash. I'd give her a call soon and discuss pumping options. No-one here wants you to have to compromise patient care, but we also don't want to see you needing to supplement with formula because your work doesn't accommodate normal human needs!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Definitely start this conversation now. It is your legal right to express at work, you need to be provided with appropriate breaks to do so. I work in a very busy healthcare setting myself, and it is not always easy or fun to break away to pump, but I do it. I chatted lots and lots with my supervisors before my return. There must be someone who can cover a reasonable break for you!

On days I have been in a time crunch or asked to travel to other locations, I have made do by pumping in the car during my commute with a hands free set up, pumping through my lunch break, pumping in an exam room in a pinch, etc.

I appreciate you support. Honestly I don't have much support from anyone in regards to breastfeeding and pumping. My first child I used formula because I had no support. I was a single mom at the time and now that I am married my husband tries his best to support me but others don't. I am even thinking of finding another job where I can be accommodated to pump. My husband even thinks it's best to find another job so that can happen. This current job scares me because even my supervisor had a difficulty keeping up with it. Her encouragement for me is that she now pumps once in the morning and produces enough for that days quantity. I keep hoping that is possible for me too

My supervisor was the one who told me to start pumping early to build my stash to return to work. She just had a baby in January and it worked for her but when she returned to work she barely pumped. I'm afraid to run into the same situation.

Do you think your supervisor would be more understanding if she had literature to read explaining what the usual expressing needs are? I am on my phone (pumping break, ha!) and can't link to guidelines right now--but perhaps someone can link some, if you think that might help? She truly cannot use her own highly unusual ability to pump once in a 10 hour shift and keep up as a model for everyone else.

.....And I thought that was highly unusual ability to pump. I had my hopes up too high that I too would be able to do that. It is a small office and most of the women are past the child bearing age in my office and I feel like I am out weighed by asking for accommodations since I will be the only one needing a room/location to pump. But literature would be helpful. I do plan visiting my job next week to discuss this with them. My husband said if they can't accommodate me before I return I must find work closer to home and take a serious pay cut in order to keep my supply up. That took a lot of stress off my shoulders that my husband is willing for me to take a pay cut to do this !

Your husband sounds like a keeper!

Please don't let us destroy your hopes of keeping your job and pumping according to your original plan- who knows, maybe everything will work out just fine! It would be unusual, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. It seems to have worked for your supervisor- though I doubt that it's likely to work longterm, due to that pesky supply = demand equation.

Just have a long, calm, detailed chat with your boss. If it comes down to it, let them know that you staying in the job is predicated on you being able to pump enough for your baby, because supplementing with formula just isn't what you want to do with your baby's first year. And it is JUST ONE YEAR during which you'll need a little extra time and consideration- less than that, even, because you won't be back at work until your LO is around 2 months old (right?). You're not asking for a lifetime of extra breaks and space. Just a few short months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much! I felt like I was staggering blindly to pump and bf with no support. I will give it a shot with my boss to talk about pumping at work.

And yes my husband is a keeper =) He is 100% supportive since he realized how much money we will save with me bf and pumping!

And yes my husband is a keeper =) He is 100% supportive since he realized how much money we will save with me bf and pumping!
    Will you save enough that you can simply take a slightly longer maternity leave? I am not kidding. Yes of course breastfeeding moms go back to work at 6 weeks (or earlier) and make it work. But the longer you can be home the easier the transition will be.

Every mother is different. What worked for your supervisor is irrelevant. especially since what she is doing-pumping only once a day first thing in the morning, is highly unusual.

Pumping regularly when you are separated from baby is also needed because you are lactating. You cannot magically stop lactating for the 10 hours you are at work! If you don't pump regularly you will very likely get ill! It's a health issue for MOM. It's not just about having enough milk to leave for baby. If anything, your need to pump frequently is going to be GREATER due to your supervisors not so hot advice. Because you now have overproduction which increases your risk of engorgement, plugs and mastitis.

Before you talk to your boss know what rights you may have, many states have some breastfeeding in the workplace laws to protect mothers rights.

I feel the pressure to return to work since our finances are strapped but I am trying to talk my husband into stretching my leave to about 3 weeks unpaid FMLA... I have been out on maternity leave for 8 weeks now (since at 32 weeks I was placed on bed-rest due to being high risk pregnancy). Hopefully extending my leave will allow my transition back to work be easier.

As for my supervisor I will revisit our last conversation about her pumping "miracle" production... Also discuss the NJ law with her on bf and the workplace

OK, unfortunately NJ has no pumping in workplace laws. There are federal laws but if your place of employment has less than 50 workers is does not cover it. BUT, here is some info that may help you as you figure out how to have these discussions with your employer. http://njbreastfeeding.org/?page_id=34 http://breastfeedingnj.org/employment.htm