Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increse in nursing decress in solids

Default increse in nursing decress in solids

My son is almost 17 months old and up until this weekend he has been a big eater... Friday night out of the blue he puked all over and just went back to playing like nothing happened. So I figured he might have just had something that bothered his tummy since he didn't act sick at all. Well part way though the night I woke up to puke all over me. Once again it didn't bother him he was more up set I forced him to get up get changed and changed all the bedding. I decided to stay up and cuddle him on the couch.He ended up puking 2 more times only to roll over and go back to sleep. So the next day I just kept it light foods and nursing. He was not all to happy to not get the same food as the rest of us. Well the last 2 days he has increased his nursing (doesn't bother me one bit) but he wont eat but maybe one or 2 bites of anything I offer. I am at a loss of what to do he want from big time eater to hardly anything. He all ready is a skinny kid at 24 pounds. I am kind of in a rut since we have lost our insurance so I cant take him to the dr but I don't think a dr could help much since he has had no fever no longer puking and the only real change is how much he wants to nurse and how little he eats in solids right now. Any moms out there have any ideas on how to get him to eat more? Is it ok that he is eating so little but upped his nursing?

Default Re: increse in nursing decress in solids

Poor boy! Sounds like he's having a totally normal response to an upset tummy -- comfort nursing, cuddles, and mama's milk to coat and settle his irritated belly. I'd wager that he'll up his solids again when he's ready. Maybe a few days or maybe a week or two?

Sorry about your insurance situation? Is there a clinic or some kind of doctor nearby that would be willing to check him out? What state are you in? I know NYS and a few others have good kid's coverage.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

This sounds completely normal for a young toddler with an upset stomach. My girls both went on total solids strikes while sick, and relied on nursing to stay hydrated/fed. Give it a week, and if he's still no better or has gotten worse, go see the doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am applying for the state medical but as most things go when it comes to government it can be slow and I am happy to know this is a normal thing. Its just so odd to see a kid who is all ways wanting to eat to turn down food.

My DD had two stomach bugs this winter and both times she was not terribly interested in solid foods for the better part of a week after the vomiting/diarrhea stopped. Her ped said as long as she is getting plenty of fluids it is perfectly fine and normal for her to be turned off by food for a few days. Another reason breast feeding a toddler is so great though--it gets fluids and lots of good nutrients into them when they are sick and not eating well.

Thank you guys for calming my fears my little food monster is back and eating like no tomorrow just in time for the 4th.

great to hear this!!!