Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daytime drama

Default Daytime drama

This is my first post. I have a 6 week old little girl. She has a bit of a sleeping routine at night and feeds fairly well. During the day there seems to be lots of drama. "Angry eating" is how it seems and I don't quite know how to ease her frustration. Napping during the day is awful if it happens much at all (maybe 20-30 minutes is all she does sometimes). She fights it horribly. I feed in the same position day/night. She has gas at all hours of the day. Poo is generally yellow and seedy, but very occasionally will have a green movement and it seems to follow a particularly poor feeding. This morning, she finally got out a good bowel movement, but there were what looked like strands of mucus in the mix. I've never seen it before. Should I be concerned?
    Also, she was having some skin irritations and what looked like pink eye a week or two ago so I cut out dairy and the symptoms improved.
    How do I help my fussy little girl?

Default Re: Daytime drama

Welcome to the forum!

6 week old babies are often fussy. It's not necessarily something you're doing/not doing, eating/not eating- it's just your baby being a baby. So take the pressure off yourself and remember that this is a short phase in your life and your baby's life. No matter how rotten a given moment is, it's going to improve in time.

Can you tell us more about the "angry eating"? What exactly is baby doing- pulling off the breast and screaming? Having difficulty latching? Eating very frequently? Eating very rapidly? Do you happen to have a high milk supply? Does the fussiness tend to worsen as the day goes on?

Yellow, seedy poops are great. Just what you want to see. But don't worry about the odd green or mucusy poop. Both are in the spectrum of normal. One weird poop or a few weird poops here or there- it's par for the course with a very immature digestive system. You only need to worry about green and/or mucusy poops if the poops are consistently green/mucusy and/or the baby is miserable or having trouble gaining weight.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the reply Mommal. This message board is great - nice to feel like you're not alone.

I would describe "angry eating" llike this:
    whimpering and crying while on the breast after a couple sucks, pulling off yet wanting to return and not really latching, shaking head from side to side, whole body fussing.
    This can also be accompanied by whining/full-on screaming when trying to burp her.

Nursing sessions can last 30-60 min> During the day it's on-off-on-off, etc. - more like snacking between short naps which usually need to take place on my lap.

I wondered about milk supply (occasional choking/coughing, but no overspray when pulling off), so yesterday I tried to feed more reclined and different positions, but it didn't seem to matter. So, when she fought it, I broke the cycle by getting up and walking with her on my shoulder. Sometimes it helped to "reset" her, others she seemed unable to focus still. Fussines starts around 8/9am and can last until evening bed time 7/8pm. Again, overnight feedings are much calmer and naps tend to cycle 4/2.5/1.5 hrs till morning. Feedings get more difficult the shorter the nap interval.

Side note: could caffeine and not dairy be responsible for red puffy teary eye?

Thanks to everyone for being "out there".

PS - can aggressive repeated pulling off mean she's done even if she roots again?

Thanks for the additional info! What you describe sounds very normal for such a young baby. What it means is difficult to say, because it may mean so many different things. Maybe baby pulls off and fusses because the flow is too fast. Or maybe she does it because the flow is too slow. Or maybe she does it because she needs to pass gas or poop- nursing can activate the gastrocolic reflex and cause baby to need to move something out at the bottom of her digestive system, a process which many babies find upsetting. Or perhaps she does it because her tummy is full and she's done eating but still wants to suck. Maybe she needs to burp. Maybe it happens for no reason at all!

Since there's no real way to tell WHY a baby is pulling off and fussing, the best thing you can do is to simply roll with the situation. If she pulls off and fusses, try burping her. Try nursing her some more. Try changing her diaper. Try holding her in a different position. Try offering her your clean pinky finger to suck, with nail held down towards the tongue- sometimes a few seconds of sucking on a finger can calm baby enough to enable a repeat latch attempt. Don't get upset if the baby continues to fuss, because the fussiness is not your fault. Just a normal part of infancy. If you just roll with it, your baby will eventually grow out of it. She will discover how to get her needs met more efficiently- for example, if she's fussing because the flow is too fast, she'll figure out how to control her nursing to slow the flow down. Or if she's fussing because she's not hungry but still wants to suck, she'll discover how to suck on her own fingers or to suck on you without generating a fast flow of milk.

Fussiness tends to peak at around this age, and it tends to be worst in the evenings. There are even widely understood terms for evening fussiness, things like "the witching hour(s)" or "evenings-only colic". Things you can do for it include:
    - Nurse, if the baby is willing. It's hard to cry when there's a breast in your mouth!
    - Calm house- lights, TV, and stereo down or off.
    - White noise- radio static, dryer sounds, the sound of your heartbeat.
    - Motion- put baby in a sling or stroller and take her for a walk, put her in a swing, drive her around in the car, bounce on an exercise ball, rock in a rocker, etc.
    - Closeness- snuggle baby close in a sling or just cuddle her against your bare skin, where she can hear your soothing heartbeat and breath sounds
    - Warm bath
    - Trip outside into the fresh air
    All the above are about changing the baby's sensory inputs, distracting her from fussiness for as long as possible. Don't expect any of them to last long. When one stops working, just try another.

The red puffy eye is probably caused by something like a blocked tear duct (very common in young infants) or some sort of bacterial infection, rather than allergies. Squirt some breastmilk into her eye- seriously! It's full of immunoactive compounds and is very good for treating pinkeye.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Alright - THAT was hysterical! Took me three tries, but I finally hit the bull's eye! Breastmilk right in the eye - and it didn't even phase her. I thought for sure she'd cry or at least grimace. We'll see how that works!

Thanks for the tips. Definitely picking up on more of her cues even if I don't know what they mean. We'll keep mixing it up!

PS - Love your daughter's quotes. Seems the first one might major in philosophy!

Nope, the older one is going to be either a prosecuting attorney or a professional dominatrix. That kid...

If squirting the breastmilk into baby's eye is a challenge, you can always express a bit and then drop it in with an eye dropper.

No way... I have to admit it was kind of fun - like a carnival game.
    And I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but her eye looks a lilttle less puffy. Cool.

That way my son at 6 weeks! But he slept awesome during the day and wanted to party all night!

I found nursing him pretty much sitting up completely helped. I would sit cross legged on the couch, support his head and back, sit his rear on my thigh, and nurse him. It took a few tries, but we got it. I really think that helped his reflux. Or I would nurse him in a wrap, pretty much in the same position when he was super fussy. I think he really liked being so smushed next to me and sitting up completely. We nursed outside a lot too. He LOVED being outside (still does!).

Good luck Momma! It'll get there.
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

Thanks spygirl! Being outside definitely breaks up the fuss. Unfortunately, it's ridiculously hot and humid out these days. We take short walks as much as we can. I bet you're enjoying that dry Texas air!

Nursing sitting up, huh? That sounds like quite the challenge.