Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contemplating pump weaning

Default Re: Contemplating pump weaning

So I've really stepped it up with solids and my 12.5 month old is drinking no less pumped milk during the day.
    So I'm still pumping away. No big deal but I was soooo hoping to drop a pump session at work.

I'm thinking maybe because she's walking and it's warm to hot outside (although she's not out tremendously long stretches and if it's brutal out she's only out in the morning) that her calorie and hydration needs went up just as we were kicking solids into gear.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

It sounds like you're on track... I'm thinking you may start to see her cut back on the bm in the next few weeks/month.... Keep in mind it's a gradual transition. And that for some mothers the ability to pump wean at 12 months is facilitated by cow's milk; in your case without the cow's milk maybe it will happen at 13 months or 13.5... But you will get there!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    It sounds like you're on track... I'm thinking you may start to see her cut back on the bm in the next few weeks/month.... Keep in mind it's a gradual transition. And that for some mothers the ability to pump wean at 12 months is facilitated by cow's milk; in your case without the cow's milk maybe it will happen at 13 months or 13.5... But you will get there!
    I know, I have to remind myself this is for now not forever. Cows milk is an iron inhibitor so as I'm working on her low iron that's a second reason to eschew dairy. On the positive side I feel like we're filling her with so much healthy stuff between the continued amount of expressed bmilk, nursing and our solids choices. Thanks!

Hi Debbers

I was/am in the same place and was super worried about both pump-weaning and being responsible for healthy food choices for my son! My husband and I are both in the health food industry, but like you, we don't always eat baby friendly.

Just for you to have some comparison, here's what I did: (btw, my son is 13mo old)

Pump-weaning--I'm down from 3x a day to 1x. I send him to nanny with lots of food and snacks, 1 small bottle of BM, and a daily sippy cup of either unsweetened Almond Milk or plain Kefir and water
    I started dropping 1 session at a time every 10days or so and whatever I pumped I sent with him the next day, so as I was gradually decreasing he was was also gradually getting less
    I hope to be completely free of pumping in the next few weeks,but like you , I'm scared to let go!

Meal Planning---this has been hard. I get home from work at 530 and he goes down at 730. That's only 2 short hours to play, cook, cuddle, bathe and nurse to sleep !
    I have started doing batches of baby and adult-friendly foods on Sundays, like black bean cakes, quinoa patties, braised chicken or lamb etc...stuff that we can eat one night and recreate quickly the next day using leftovers. So far it is working out and saving a LOT of time after work. I also keep some frozen stuff for emergencies like turkey nuggets, vegetable potstickers and homemade raviolis---stuff that I can make quickly in the AM to send with him if I didn't have leftovers.
    For snacks He eats lots of fruit, puffed Kamut, and other stuff that doesn't require cooking !

I am still learning as I go and have been so grateful for all that I've learned on this site!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

xoxo
    A

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stonesmom View Post
    Hi Debbers

I was/am in the same place and was super worried about both pump-weaning and being responsible for healthy food choices for my son! My husband and I are both in the health food industry, but like you, we don't always eat baby friendly.

Just for you to have some comparison, here's what I did: (btw, my son is 13mo old)

Pump-weaning--I'm down from 3x a day to 1x. I send him to nanny with lots of food and snacks, 1 small bottle of BM, and a daily sippy cup of either unsweetened Almond Milk or plain Kefir and water
    I started dropping 1 session at a time every 10days or so and whatever I pumped I sent with him the next day, so as I was gradually decreasing he was was also gradually getting less
    I hope to be completely free of pumping in the next few weeks,but like you , I'm scared to let go!

Meal Planning---this has been hard. I get home from work at 530 and he goes down at 730. That's only 2 short hours to play, cook, cuddle, bathe and nurse to sleep !
    I have started doing batches of baby and adult-friendly foods on Sundays, like black bean cakes, quinoa patties, braised chicken or lamb etc...stuff that we can eat one night and recreate quickly the next day using leftovers. So far it is working out and saving a LOT of time after work. I also keep some frozen stuff for emergencies like turkey nuggets, vegetable potstickers and homemade raviolis---stuff that I can make quickly in the AM to send with him if I didn't have leftovers.
    For snacks He eats lots of fruit, puffed Kamut, and other stuff that doesn't require cooking !

I am still learning as I go and have been so grateful for all that I've learned on this site!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

xoxo
    A
    Really helpful response, thank you! I pump 2x/day and really think I could get down to 1 but I chicken out.
    We have a new nanny starting 8/26 so now of course I'm thinking I should see how the transition goes on the feeding side of things.

I am SO happy to report two things.

First, I got down to one pump a day, this happened a few weeks back, partly due to the fact that my daughter now refuses milk during the day, no matter what receptacle it is served in. Straight from the Dairy Queen is best I guess!

Second, this week I've pumped both days successfully with my Medela PISA at work for the first time, well, ever. If success continues through the end of the work week I will finally be able to return the Hospital grade pump. Load off my back AND $71/month back too.

I have to travel alone this coming Sunday thru Monday and I could cry I'm so happy to not be lugging that heavy pump along.

That's great debbers! Thanks for the update.

I was feeling annoyed at the thought of lugging my PISA along when I travel at the beginning of November... this reset my perspective!

Hooray! Great news. Happy for you.