Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating pump weaning

Default Contemplating pump weaning

In less than 2 weeks DD will be 1. She gets expressed milk while I'm at work and I nurse when I'm home during the week, overnight and all weekend. She has never had supplement. If I had to guess based on her continued enthusiasm, I'd say I'll still be nursing in 6 months or even 12 and right now I'm fine with that. I'm starting to fantasize about losing the pump. My job as the vp of a company is non stop action and I want to break free from this pump one day. It also costs me $75 a month to rent (insurance does not cover) so it'd be nice to lose the expense too. Unfortunately I can't get squat out of a standard pump. I have a Medela pisa that's virtually unused. With my rented symphony I get 12 plus oz in just 2 pump sessions per day.

I've read on the forum about how to pump wean. My concern is actually whether it's going to be harder to meal plan as a working mom. We are still doing probably 90% breast milk for DD's diet and the foods she eats are natural, whole foods from our kitchen only. ie no products from a store.

She has only 2 bottom teeth, with 2 uppers on the way so I think very carefully about what I give her. The only meat she's had is a taste of salmon or tilapia. Besides time constraint I need to ensure she gets adequate calories to replace breast milk.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud right now. I spend all my free non working time with DD and DH. I don't want to stress about planning out food every week for her caregiver.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Contemplating pump weaning

Hi debbers, I pretty much feed LO what we eat, with a few exceptions. And remember, they really don't eat that much at this stage. So if you want to put a small amount of your dinner (or her dinner, if she's eating something different) aside for lunch for the next day, and provide your caregiver with a list of snacks you're happy with that she can prep (cut fruits and veggies, etc.), you don't need a separate meal plan for LO, you know?

Have you thought about replacing your milk with another milk? That is what I did with both my girls - I stopped pumping and as I phased out the pumping, we phased in cows milk. I still nursed at night and on weekends and they were fine. As time went on, they ate more solids and drank less cows milk but still nursed at night and on weekends.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you thought about replacing your milk with another milk? That is what I did with both my girls - I stopped pumping and as I phased out the pumping, we phased in cows milk. I still nursed at night and on weekends and they were fine. As time went on, they ate more solids and drank less cows milk but still nursed at night and on weekends.
    We don't do any dairy - I've been dairy free for 17 years and it changed my life. I think I just have to ready myself for this and figure out one bottle replacement to start. As much as I hate the pump it is a known enemy, I know what to expect.

Hi Debbers, I am in the process of pump weaning myself. I also had some anxiety about it, but with some encouragement from the forum, I just started the process with trust that it would work out. And you can take as long as you want with it. Personally I have done a 6 week, gradual reduction from 3 pumps/workday to 1 pump/workday, with a corresponding gradual reduction in LO's bottle sizes and upping his solids. I think the PP's suggestion to just set aside some of your meal for LO is a good one -- it's what we do 80% of the time, plus fresh fruit, so it's really no extra prep or planning. LO also nurses still overnight, so I have that extra reassurance about his calorie intake overall.

The other thing I do is have a couple "freezer meals" for LO as a backup (one easy batch meal on a weekend can last a couple weeks easily, because his portions are small). For example, right now my freezer has some of his pancakes and broccoli nuggets That way if we have a night when our dinner isn't something he can eat, I don't have to stress about what to send to daycare the next day - I just pull a freezer meal for him and add some cut up fruit or whatever else is fresh and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    Hi Debbers, I am in the process of pump weaning myself. I also had some anxiety about it, but with some encouragement from the forum, I just started the process with trust that it would work out. And you can take as long as you want with it. Personally I have done a 6 week, gradual reduction from 3 pumps/workday to 1 pump/workday, with a corresponding gradual reduction in LO's bottle sizes and upping his solids. I think the PP's suggestion to just set aside some of your meal for LO is a good one -- it's what we do 80% of the time, plus fresh fruit, so it's really no extra prep or planning. LO also nurses still overnight, so I have that extra reassurance about his calorie intake overall.

The other thing I do is have a couple "freezer meals" for LO as a backup (one easy batch meal on a weekend can last a couple weeks easily, because his portions are small). For example, right now my freezer has some of his pancakes and broccoli nuggets That way if we have a night when our dinner isn't something he can eat, I don't have to stress about what to send to daycare the next day - I just pull a freezer meal for him and add some cut up fruit or whatever else is fresh and simple.
    Thanks I appreciate the input. We eat extremely healthy however are often flying through dinner prep and eating since I work full time and we want to snuggle and play with the kiddo before I put her down (which in my case means going to bed together by 8 see other 347 posts, ha). So we might be eating things like giant salads with grapes and nuts and veggies and blackened chicken, a big well done omelet with onions and spinach or a super spicy thai shrimp dish over spaghetti squash. Quite baby inappropriate. So one way or another it's going to take time and thought. I'm a very good and fast cook. I do set aside things for dd sometimes like I mashed up grilled salmon and avocado for her and we had ours with red curry sauce.

I tried doing only BLS but she manages to choke on little particles of food. She does really like food now. We did not force it. She got interested around 10 mos.

I'm babbling. I'm ready but I'm not. Pumping isn't fun but it's a known entity. I only pump 2X / day thanks to the hospital grade pump.My pisa has never done the job. I get so uncomfortable if I'm late for one of my 2 pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the input. We eat extremely healthy however are often flying through dinner prep and eating since I work full time and we want to snuggle and play with the kiddo before I put her down (which in my case means going to bed together by 8 see other 347 posts, ha). So we might be eating things like giant salads with grapes and nuts and veggies and blackened chicken, a big well done omelet with onions and spinach or a super spicy thai shrimp dish over spaghetti squash. Quite baby inappropriate. So one way or another it's going to take time and thought. I'm a very good and fast cook. I do set aside things for dd sometimes like I mashed up grilled salmon and avocado for her and we had ours with red curry sauce.

I tried doing only BLS but she manages to choke on little particles of food. She does really like food now. We did not force it. She got interested around 10 mos.

I'm babbling. I'm ready but I'm not. Pumping isn't fun but it's a known entity. I only pump 2X / day thanks to the hospital grade pump.My pisa has never done the job. I get so uncomfortable if I'm late for one of my 2 pumps.
    Yeah, my LO didn't show an interest in solids until 10.5 mos, and even then gagged & spit everything out until 12 mos. So I hear where you're coming from. I was so over the pump ... but I didn't feel comfortable starting the pump weaning process before he was doing better with solids. So if you feel OK with the pump (like you said, it's a "known quantity) then you could just stay in a holding pattern until you feel ready - like when your daughter can eat things with more texture, for example. Then some of your current meals could be easier to adapt -- like setting aside some of the cooked spaghetti squash before you add the spicy curry, cutting off the blackened exterior of a little of that chicken and dicing it up, or scrambling some of those beaten eggs first before you make your omelet with all the fixins. At that point, prepping her food might not feel like so much work. She'll probably turn the corner on it one day and then just want to eat EVERYTHING (mine did!). I do follow your posts so I know you are so limited with time, between your job and lack of sleep So it makes sense to want to spend as little of your precious extra time in the kitchen as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    Yeah, my LO didn't show an interest in solids until 10.5 mos, and even then gagged & spit everything out until 12 mos. So I hear where you're coming from. I was so over the pump ... but I didn't feel comfortable starting the pump weaning process before he was doing better with solids. So if you feel OK with the pump (like you said, it's a "known quantity) then you could just stay in a holding pattern until you feel ready - like when your daughter can eat things with more texture, for example. Then some of your current meals could be easier to adapt -- like setting aside some of the cooked spaghetti squash before you add the spicy curry, cutting off the blackened exterior of a little of that chicken and dicing it up, or scrambling some of those beaten eggs first before you make your omelet with all the fixins. At that point, prepping her food might not feel like so much work. She'll probably turn the corner on it one day and then just want to eat EVERYTHING (mine did!). I do follow your posts so I know you are so limited with time, between your job and lack of sleep So it makes sense to want to spend as little of your precious extra time in the kitchen as possible.
    Thanks for all the thought you put into your response. I think I needed this dialogue with someone who understands. Today I pumped 7 oz at first pumping and I was a little late getting to it. I didn't get to the second pump till about 4:40pm. I felt like I could have held out and nursed DD shortly after 6. But I panicked (not really, more like mock panic) and went ahead and pumped. That led me to a new plan. Try to have the nanny feed her something every day and see if we start to have left over milk. Keep pumping 2x a day. On Friday if I've come out ahead do it another week. Instead of weaning off the pump first we'll wean her onto a little food as supplement - or substitute - depending on how full she's getting. (My nanny is super awesome with cues, not over feeding etc. she's been a star since the day she started when DD was just 4.5 months). The bonus will be bumping the freezer supply a little. I am prob due for work travel soon.

I think that's a great plan, debbers. A lot of pump weaning is psychological - ie weaning mama from the pump! It's hard to let go of that feeling that you have to chase after every ounce of expressed milk. But it sounds like the way you propose will give you the confidence that LO _will_ be able to nourish herself with more than just breastmilk!

I just wanted to add that despite my concern about this my dd LOVES spicy food and things that I never would have thought a baby could/would eat. I get concerned about choking so cutting things up small does take some time, but once I got over the "a baby shouldn't eat that" thing our lives got much easier. I usually cut up food while we're eating dinner. Whatever she doesn't eat gets put aside for the next day.
    When I say she loves spicy food I mean she has had things like blackened chicken and would literally eat fistfulls of garlic, cayenne pepper, italian seasoning, cinnamon, ginger etc. She likes hot sauce though we limit this due to salt content.
    PS- I still haven't pump weaned yet though so thanks for this topic.