Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teeth brushing?

Default teeth brushing?

Since my baby nurses several or sometimes many times during the night (we beshare), is teeth brushing an issue? She has 2 teeth, I brush them once a day...but obviously if she's eating all night I'm not going to wake her to brush them. I assume it's fine?
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: teeth brushing?

I think as long as you brush or wipe down her teeth after eating solids, she'll be fine. Breast milk alone is beneficial. Bm on top of particles of food is bad. You're off to a good start with getting her in the habit early!
    http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

I did what you're doing - brush before bedtime. Definitely not at night! No cavities so far for my six-year-old or my three-year-old!

Phew! I plan on night nursing for a really long time...also good to know about the milk on top of food particles, makes sense to me. Hadn't thought about that.

Thanks for this! I was thinking it wouldn't make since that breast milk would harm her teeth, seeing that nursing has been around for tens of thousands of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    I think as long as you brush or wipe down her teeth after eating solids, she'll be fine. Breast milk alone is beneficial. Bm on top of particles of food is bad. You're off to a good start with getting her in the habit early!
    http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

I always brush at bath time, which is conveniently shortly after dinner! I have been finger brushing my LO's gums since before she had teeth, just to get her used to the idea of me coming at her mouth to brush. Right now, she actually loves the brush, and opens her mouth in anticipation when she sees it, but I don't expect THAT to last, hee!

Both my girls nursed all night. We didn't even start regular tooth brushing with the first one until well after she was weaned - no cavities! The second one started getting tooth brushing earlier because we already had the night-time routine with big sister. Also, no cavities.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months