Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need more milk

Post Need more milk

Hello fellow moms! My little girl is currently just over 2 weeks old. I am exclusively pumping right now- I did try to breast feed but I also have a 14m old little boy so j don't have 45-90 minutes to spend trying to breast feed every 2-3 hours and it just wasn't for me. Anyway, I am currently pumping every 3 hours around the clock. Right now I am only getting about 30-50ml out of each breast each time. This is barely enough for my little girl and I am only 2 pumps ahead of her feeding routine. I do have to go back to work in 4 weeks and wanted to try to have some supply for the 4 days a week I will be gone at work. Is it normal this early on to only be getting around 2 ounces out at a time?? I wanted a little input before I tried some over the counter supplement to try to increase my supply. Also, once I go back to work I am allowed 2 15minute breaks during the day to pump and obviously I can utilize my 30minute lunch break to pump if needed.

Default Re: Need more milk

Welcome to the forum mama!

So first - just want to throw the idea out there that exclusively pumping, for many mothers, over the long run, is often more challenging than nursing. True, it's normal for a newborn to spend long periods of the day and night at the breast, and that is exhausting, especially with a young toddler as well. But babies become more efficient at nursing as they get older - so an older infant may take only 5 or 10 minutes to nurse, while the whole setting up/pumping/washing routine is still going to take 20-30 minutes or more. And is very difficult to do in public. And entails taking the pump with you wherever you go. Other than the time, did you have any other breastfeeding difficulties? Painful latch? Difficulty getting baby to latch?

Anyway, to answer your question: 2 ounces every 3 hours is 16 ounces per day. Starting at about 1 month of age, babies drink in the range of 19-30 ounces, or average of about 25 ounces, over 24 hours. So that is what you want to work towards. Keep in mind that a typical newborn will often nurse 10-12 times per day, so even though 2 or 3 ounces is a typical meal size for a breastfed baby, 8 times in 24 hours may be less frequent than what baby would be doing at the breast. So a couple questions about your pumping routine: how long are you pumping for? What pump are you using? It's important to use a very good pump if you are EP'ing, and you want to be sure it's in good shape, that the flanges fit well, etc.

When you go back to work, it would be a good idea to plan to use both breaks and lunch to pump - assuming you are working a full day. Most mothers do need to pump at least three times if working a full day. And 15 minutes is a short pumping session. Most mothers will need 15 to 20 minutes of actual pumping time, and then a few additional minutes of setup/takedown time. Again, these are averages. Some mothers need more - half an hour or more, in some cases; some mothers need less.
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; July 1st, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Default Re: Need more milk

with the PP. 8 pumping sessions per day is unlikely to get you the milk you want. So you need to either increase the frequency of your pump sessions or nurse the baby (if she will nurse- see http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ if she won't).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"