Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looks like we're weaned!

Default Looks like we're weaned!

Well, I made it to 14.5 months. I haven't breastfed since early Friday morning, so it looks like it's all over. As much crap as breastfeeding brought up for me, I feel a little wistful

Basically, a few weeks after her first birthday I started doing don't offer don't refuse, and for the most part, we stuck to that. Interestingly, I thought that bed and naptime feedings would be the last to go, but she stopped being interested in those feedings pretty early on. She was more interested in nursing in the morning. To me, the fact that she didn't want to nurse to sleep any more was a sign that she could handle the process.

For a few weeks, she nursed once a day, and we gradually moved past 24 hours in between nursing sessions. I last nursed her early Friday when she woke up with really bad teething pain and wouldn't get back to sleep (hoped it would help her go back to sleep. It didn't.). At that point, I was frustrated and exhausted and was really hoping that she wouldn't ask to nurse again. So far she hasn't.

This all feels...kind of bitter sweet. I don't miss the act of nursing. If you followed my threads, it was a fairly unhappy experience for me. I do feel slightly wistful to know that she's old enough to not nurse. But I feel relieved that I don't have to do it anymore and that I can enjoy being her mom without having to fight off a panic attack in order to feed or soothe her.

Default Re: Looks like we're weaned!

Hi tallmadre, I did follow a lot of your threads, and I think it's so wonderful that you nursed your LO for 14.5 months despite all the challenges! Despite which, I think it's normal to feel wistful. Weaning is an emotional time. Thanks for sharing your story.

Well done, mama! I so admire you for giving this your all. It takes immense strength to do what you did.

I can totally understand feeling a little wistful at this juncture. I have felt that way with both of my kids, even though I have been more than ready for them to wean by the time they did!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son weaned about the same time, using the same don't offer but don't refuse method. He did, however, occasionally request my breast when he was upset or got hurt for a few months after that point. He never actually nursed, but it was obvious he remembered them as being comforting so I would give him access to my breast. A couple of times he put his mouth on like he was going to nurse but didn't, usually he would just hold them or put his face on them to cuddle.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

Thanks everyone!

I might have jinxed myself a little by posting this prematurely. I did nurse this morning very briefly when she woke up upset (this round of teething is a real killer), but it wasn't for very long. But I still feel like it's basically over.

You didn't jinx yourself! A long goodbye is very typical. I consider my daughter to be 99.9% weaned, but she still wants to nurse once in a while, for a few seconds before bedtime.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"