Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how soon after each feed should i pump?

Default how soon after each feed should i pump?

I am new to forums and new to bf and pumping. I have to return to work the first week of August and must store enough milk in order to return to work. My baby is 3 weeks old and i have been pumping after each feeding (8 sessions per day). I have not been consistent with the exact time i pump with each session. Should I be pumping immediately after i feed my son or should i wait 20-30 minutes after i feed him so my milk can get a chance to come in? does it matter with timing as long as i pump in-between feedings?

Default Re: how soon after each feed should i pump?

Good question! I worry about pumping in between feedings and disrupting supply for next feeding if I can't do it right away. I have a 6 week old.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    Will you be pumping regularly while at work as well? If not, let me know. But assuming you will be, there is no need to store a giant stockpile in the freezer. All you really need is a days worth for the first day of work, and then a 'cushion' for emergencies. Every mom differs on how much of a cushion needed but I would suggest at least an extra days' worth of milk.

So figure out what that would generally be (how much you need depends on how long the separation is each day) then, going by how much you are able to typically pump at a session and how many days you have, you can estimate how often you need to pump until then. It could be every day, every other day, once a week, twice a day, whatever works for you. You want to avoid oumping too often if you are at any risk of overproduction.

When exactly to pump is going to be individual. Many moms find production is higher in the early morning. But you may find another time works best for you. It does not have to be the same time every day either.

If you pump right after your baby nurses you may not get as much milk out as quickly. However that does not mean you need to wait a certain amount of time for your breasts to 'fill up.' Your body is always making milk. If your baby suckles or you pump more production is stimulated. So if it works for you to pump after a feeding that is fine. It is also not a problem if you pump and right away baby wants to nurse. Just as you do not need to wait any particular amount of time between nursing sessions, there is not a need to 'scedule' pumping sessions unless sceduling the pumping makes life easier for you.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

I think I was mislead. I was told to get on a pumping schedule as soon as my milk supply came in and pump after every bf session to build a stash for work (which I return 7/22). It is so much work and I produce 3-4 oz each session and I have been storing the milk. Is it worth all this work? I will be working a 10 hours shift (including travel to and from work to home). I purchased a car adapter and hands free bra. My baby will be 4 weeks old this Sunday and I feel like I am a factory already and I feel I was mislead to pump like this. I am not sure how often I should be pumping to store milk or should I continue my scheduled pump sessions 8x in 24 hours.