Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I talk to doctor?

Default Should I talk to doctor?

I am wondering if I should see a doctor on something that could increase my supply. If I do see a dr what kind should I see {reg one, obgyn, ect...} I currently drink mother's milk tea and it helps but not much. I would like to be able to pump say 8 oz for a night bottle to give to her and if lucky get 4 oz right now. Please I need suggestions if I should see dr and what kinds of med are there for increasing supply?? I am in tears with this whole thing, I feel helpless that I can't help her more!
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: Should I talk to doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl228 View Post
    I would like to be able to pump say 8 oz for a night bottle to give to her and if lucky get 4 oz right now.
    Do you mean that you get 4 oz at one time while pumping or does it take all day of pumping to get a total of 4 oz? I don't know of many women who can sit and pump 8 ounces in one sitting. The most I have ever gotten in one sitting was 4 ounces and that was from both breasts combined and I was engorged at the time. Generally I will get about 2-3 ounces each time I pump (which is only in the AM if needed).

Why do you think you need to make more milk or that you don't have enough for your LO?

I often worry about supply as well, but as often as it is repeated, it's true...the proof is in the diapers - as long as your LO's output is on track, then she is eating enough.

When I e-mail pictures to family and get responses saying how much Ashelyn has grown & filled out, then I know that she's fine and I need to stop worrying.

Also, one last thing, remember that your LO is better at extracting your milk while breastfeeding than a pump is. So, the total oz you pump is not indicative of what your LO gets while nursing.

I'm sorry if I have repeated things that you already know. I am no familiar with your other posts, so I don't know if you already know all of this. I know the LLL leaders & moderators do not recommend that you take anything without the advice of a doctor, but I began taking Fenugreek and after about 2 weeks I did notice an increase in my supply. You can always ask your OB if this might be something for you to try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DebiMommyTo2 View Post
    Do you mean that you get 4 oz at one time while pumping or does it take all day of pumping to get a total of 4 oz? Why do you think you need to make more milk or that you don't have enough for your LO?

I often worry about supply as well, but as often as it is repeated, it's true...the proof is in the diapers - as long as your LO's output is on track, then she is eating enough.

but I began taking Fenugreek and after about 2 weeks I did notice an increase in my supply. You can always ask your OB if this might be something for you to try as well.
    I get 4 oz for the day. I wish to get 4 oz at a time that would be soo cool. I know that she get's enough {diaper output} and she is gaining and growing all of the time! I just want to get a bottle so that DH can feed her and can stop throwing formula in my face as a means of getting her fed. Are you using the capsules or the powder? I need to find a place that sells it so I can try that. I just don't want to feel like I am not providing enought for her u know. It's alot tougher that I ever realized and lack of support in the house doesn't help either
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I'm so sorry you're not getting support at home. I've had suuply issues, too, and sometimes I had to physically wrestle the bottle of formula out of DD's father's hands. Ignorant men, LOL.

Anyway, yes, talk to your doc and make sure it's ok to take fenugreek (no reason why not usually, but doesn't hurt to ask) Usual dosage is 6-12 capsules/ day.

Don't feel bad that you don't pump much. Some people just don't. I barely get 2 oz at a time. Here's a great link in that regard:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

HTH!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl228 View Post
    I get 4 oz for the day. I wish to get 4 oz at a time that would be soo cool. I know that she get's enough {diaper output} and she is gaining and growing all of the time! I just want to get a bottle so that DH can feed her and can stop throwing formula in my face as a means of getting her fed. Are you using the capsules or the powder? I need to find a place that sells it so I can try that. I just don't want to feel like I am not providing enought for her u know. It's alot tougher that I ever realized and lack of support in the house doesn't help either
    I'm sorry your DH isn't as supportive as he could be. Mine is the same way - well he's getting better now, but at first he would ask me constantly if he could give her a bottle of formula just because I was having pain from the yeast infection in my nipples. MEN!! Just explain to him again how important it is to you that you breastfed your LO and that it upsets you to have him trying to steer you away from what you feel is best for your LO. I hope that he understands how you feel.

Re: the Fenugreek. I got mine at GNC. It's $12.99 for 200 capsules. I, personally, take 9 capsules a day - 3 capsules three times a day. I'm not sure if it affects each woman differently. From what I have read through the links others have provided, it could take 48-72 hours to work or up to two weeks. For me, it was two weeks. And I still don't leak or spray at all. I only get engorged occasionally - usually overnight. That's the only way I can tell I am producing a little more - by the fact that I feel fuller overnight then I did before I started taking the Fenugreek. I am now on my second bottle. I am going to ask my OB about it next week at my first pp visit. I'm not sure how long it's OK to take Fenugreek for.

Best of luck to you!!!

It sounds like you are getting a lot of great support and advice.

I would just like to add that there are a lot of things that daddy can do to bond with his baby that don't involve feeding a bottle. For instance, he can change diapers, give a bath, dress baby, take her for a walk or carry her in a sling, play with her...etc..etc...

Another idea would be to hand him a copy of LLL's book "Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers" by Margaret Kenda and tell him that, when she' ready for solid foods, he's in charge...so he'd better do his homework! The first couple of chapters are about why breast is best...so hopefully he'll get indoctrinated in the process .

Hang in There!

Tiana