Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting/Scraping and now bleeding - Help!

Default Biting/Scraping and now bleeding - Help!

Hi - I'm in tears and need some help!

My nearly 1-year old has started biting and scraping her bottom teeth against my nipple when latching off. This has been going on for 3 weeks and is getting worse. My nipples are bleeding and I'm dreading feeds. Initially it was just a graze but now she breaks the skin and then drags her teeth off my nipple and I usually shout and burst into tears.

Some background:
    She's my third bf baba and I never had any problems with my first 2. This little girl had a posterior tongue tie snipped on day 10 and feeding has been wonderful ever since. I'm back at work for the last 3 months and she gets one bottle from her dad in the middle of the day. I'm sure the bottle is the problem as she must somehow have learned this bad biting to stop the milk habit from it.

Anyhow, from tomorrow she's getting cup fed during the day. But what do I do from here...? If she has "nipple confusion" at 1 year old is there anything I can do about it - will she just forget this stupid habit if she's cup fed when I'm not around?

I've tried all the internet advice. Feeding in quiet room, saying no when she bites and putting her on the ground - she thinks it's hillarious though and since she's finished feeding anyway it doesn't seem to bother her one bit.
    I really don't want to stop breastfeeding her but I also can't go on like this anymore.
    Please help!

Default Re: Biting/Scraping and now bleeding - Help!

So sorry you're going through that - sounds very painful! Forgive me if I'm suggesting something you've already tried - but what about unlatching her preemptively when she seems like she's wrapping up her feed (inserting your finger between her jaws towards the back so that she can't chomp down)? That doesn't solve the issue in terms of redirecting your LO away from the behavior, but it might give you some temporary physical relief to keep breastfeeding while you work on it.