Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperate to breastfeed but failing :(

Default Re: Desperate to breastfeed but failing :(

Sounds like you are producing plenty of milk. I suggest giving your baby more time at the breast, not less. I don't think that the burning calories comment makes sense, either. My babies were small, jaundiced, sleepy, and inefficient (and below their birth weight at 3 weeks!). It took them much, much longer than 15-30 minutes to get what they needed! They ate almost constantly, sometimes taking turns and sometimes together, for the first couple of months. They needed the practice. Not until 3 months were they able to eat for 15 minutes and get what they needed. If I were you, I would offer the breast every hour during the day and allow her to suck until she stopped on her own. This might mean nursing sessions lasting hours, but that's just part of establishing breastfeeding. Right now it seems like a lot, and I know you're sad about missing out on other things, but in a few short months you'll be out with your family and your baby will be hungry and you'll be able to just feed her and then go about your day without bottles or formula. It's wonderful and satisfying and allows you to carry on with life in a very freeing way.

Like elliesmommy, we supplemented some in the beginning, too, and went on to exclusively breastfeed. So don't lose hope just yet!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Hold up! baby is a pound over birth weight? So is gain rate now on track and everyone happy? If so, yes that would be the time to start working on easing back on the pumping and supplements.

What I am hearing is your baby nurses with normal frequency (I know baby is sleepy but if baby wakes up and wants to nurse more often, that would also be normal) and you are still able to pump 10-15 or more ounces a day! 12 ounces or so is about half what a three week old baby typically needs per day. So I agree milk production is not the issue. With that amount of supplement, what is the daily weight gain rate now? Baby's poop certainly sounds normal. I wonder if you cut back on the supplements if baby would wake up, nurse more often/more vigorously, which would mean you could cut back on the pumping etc.
    I completely agree. Honestly, I think you are almost there! You can definitely be successful.

Also, we bought a digital baby scale as soon as we realized we were struggling with weight gain. We weighed the babies every other day before feeding, after diaper change, in diapers only. We tracked the weight against the charts and they were on the charts at their 2 month appointment. They are already above what they need to be for their 4 month mark!

About the whole burning calories thing-The LC at the hospital where I gave birth (Not IBCLC) told me that until the milk comes in and baby is just getting colostrum the time should be limited because there is nothing for them to get. They had me stopping at 15 min per side. For some reason my milk took a few extra days to come in. They told me when I felt the milk in there or could pump and get any measurable amount of milk in a 15 min session I could start letting her eat for as long as she wanted.
    I have no idea if this is accurate but it is what I was told at the time. FWIW a friend of mine received the same advice with the same rationale from her LC (also not IBCLC).

Thank you elliemommyfor telling us about what you and your friend were told in the hospital. I though that sounded way off and confirmed that with an IBCLC last night. Limiting sessions for any number of reasons was common 'advice' from doctors and nurses several years ago but we now know such sceduling is not only uneeded, it will contribute to lactation failure. So, NO, generally speaking, nursing sessions should NOT be timed or frequency limited because a newborn baby is getting 'just' colustrum or for any other reason. In general, limiting session length or frequency of nursing is a really terrible idea. In some cases with a very compromised baby it may be appropriate. Also in some cases where mom is 'triple feeding' (nursing, pumping, supplementing)- it may be helpful for that mom to limit nursing session length as a way of helping the exhausted mom cope. But not because nursing a long time is harmful to baby.