Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping at night

Default Re: Pumping at night

It sounds like you've got a very good supply of milk. So I would contact an IBCLC and get that baby on your breast! Baby is MUCH more efficient at drawing milk from the breast than a pump. It's hard in the beginning to commit to getting them on the breast. To learn to trust that baby is getting what they need. But it does sound as if that should be your next stage, a focus of baby on to the breast.

Once you get that established, you'll get a little more sleep. Pumping, feeding, washing pump parts, washing bottles.... That's a lot of work to get into 2 - 3 hours when it starts all over again. Going straight to the breast you just nurse, finish and fall asleep with baby! You'll still be tired (can't be avoided during the early days) but you'll have more sleep than you're getting now.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I've been looking for an IBCLC but they're way more expensive than we can afford. My insurance covers the LC at my OB and she's pretty terrific. I am going to call her and ask if she's an IBCLC or if she knows of any resources for an affordable one. Though knowing her she'd of mentioned it if she did.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post
    I've been looking for an IBCLC but they're way more expensive than we can afford. My insurance covers the LC at my OB and she's pretty terrific. I am going to call her and ask if she's an IBCLC or if she knows of any resources for an affordable one. Though knowing her she'd of mentioned it if she did.
    Also tell her of your interest in concentrating on getting baby on to the breast exclusively now. She still might be able to help you in that regard.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

she did try, and gave us exercises to relax his jaw and help with his tongue sucking and habit of putting his tongue up to the roof of his mouth but now she feels due to his size and my large nipples that it is a matter of his getting bigger then trying...

she's going to call me back if she can find someone.

really, you are doing so good! you have a latching baby, and a full milk supply! sure, he may not be getting full feeds at the breast now, but any latch is really a victory you shouldn't discount.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

thank you for the encouragement. he hasnt latched today and we tried several times and it just ended in tears, but you're right.... he CAN do it so there is hope