Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mo is sleeping all night- increase ounces during the day?

Default 5 mo is sleeping all night- increase ounces during the day?

Hello! My LO is 21 weeks. She nurses, both breasts at 6 pm and then sleeps until 7:30-8 when she wants to nurse again. She generally wakes again at midnight to nurse, then sleeps until 6 am. This week, she's been really fussy from the 6-8 timeframe. Her eyes are closed, she isn't full blown crying, but there are tears. Once my husband or I enter the room, she's good. When we leave, she cries again. After her 7:30-8 feeding, she's been sleeping all thru the night, waking at 6 am. When she nursed yesterday, I offered both breasts (my mistake!) she threw it all back up. Today I offered one breast and she didn't throw up. I'm wondering, if she's going 10 hours without eating at night, should I be sending more to daycare? She generally takes 3, 3 ounce bottles. She's there from 7-5. The only times she's fussy with the sitter is when she hasn't gotten her naps.

Default Re: 5 mo is sleeping all night- increase ounces during the d

Personally, 9 oz seems a little low to me, considering she is there from 7-5 and sleeping through the night. Do you nurse her at lunch or right when you pick her up?

I think I would send a little more milk for her during the day . . . just to be sure she's getting enough.
    Life is Beautiful.

usually, she wakes at 6, we nurse around 6:15 or 6:30. She leaves for the sitter at 7. we get home at 5 and she nurses at 6 and then at 8. I was doing the sleep/dream feeding when I went to bed- around 10 or 11, but I read to not do that. When I did that, she would wake again around 2 or 3 to eat. When I stopped with the sleep/dream feeding, she started sleeping all night. Our ped said that their stomaches can't hold more than 3 ounces at a time. She said the rule was an ounce for every hour since it isn't the oucnes that fills her, it's the composition of the milk. Also, I'm pumping 9 ounces while I'm at work. When we get home from the sitter we play, read or go for a walk. She doesn't start to cry until she goes to bed.

I agree, the intake seems a little low. If you don't want to send more milk to daycare, you might want to slip in a dream-feed before you go to bed, and/or wake the baby in the middle of the night to nurse.

Don't worry about spit-up. As long as it occurs without pain and the baby is growing normally, it's a laundry problem, not a health problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

These days, I offer LO more during the day because of the hot weather. She seems to need it to stay hydrated. Not more during each feeding - but more opportunities to 'top up'. (She sweats a lot which may have something to do with that also!) Some days she just seems to need more than others - it doesn't hurt to have a little extra on hand just in case!
    Life is Beautiful.

I know that if I send more to the sitter, she'll get it whether she wants it or not. More food is the sitters' answer to everything! I definitely want her to have it if she needs it, I just don't want her to over-fed. The sitter tends to offer food when she gets upset, when usually it's because she hasn't had a nap at all. (whole other story!) This is all so confusing to me!

And, we're totally cool with spit up. This was everything she had eaten. It was like pouring a glass of milk over us. She's never done anything like that before. We had to change the sheets, mattress pad....it looked like I had peed my pants. It was crazy.

It's possible your sending enough. You aren't that far off from the ounce per an hour guideline. The fact that she isn't demanding food as soon as she sees you suggests to me that she isn't going hungry during the day. If you are feeding her at six, and she's fussy during the 6-8 time frame then I doubt the fussy is from hunger. She could have any number of things going on from being tired, teething, a little bug/cold coming on, etc.

I send a similar amount to daycare for my son. I'm confident that they would tell me if he was still hungry. I think the biggest concern here is that the person caring for your daughter during the day can't tell the difference between hunger and other needs. Which makes it hard for you to know what she needs.

If you're concerned she needs more while you're gone for the day I would send an additional bottle instead of increasing the size of her current bottles.