Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Complicated situation - please help!

Default Re: Complicated situation - please help!

Hi! I just wanted to add about the iron / constipation issue: adding iron supplements or more iron-rich foods can be constipating in itself. I would add mango to your mix of fruits, and like another poster mentioned, pears. You can sometimes find applesauce mixed with mango in the pouches or in the jars, or of course you can make at home. I found those two fruits (pears and mangos) worked wonders for our babe when she was starting solids and becoming constipated.

My son became constipated at about 18 months and none of these tricks worked. We went through giving him benefiber, then later miralax to resolve it. Then one day around his 4th birthday, he just started going regularly on his own!

Also, like mammal said, testing iron levels is a pretty routine thing for 6-9 month olds (different docs do it at different times). I'd say there's nothing wrong with just asking them to run the test. They can check for lead levels at the same time it it's something you're concerned about and then babe only needs one stick!

Good luck! The iron / constipation balance is really tough (on top of the stress of the Dom decision!).
    Mama to
    O - 7/10/08
    and
    J - 6/25/12

I don't mean to be a contrarian but I've read over and over that legumes are a common aggravator of gut diseases and that wheat and grains are not well processed or digested by babies (or adults for that matter). Grains, wheat and legumes are also inflammation foods. Now think ibs - inflammatory bowel disease. Wheat bread is also high glycemic so that's like a big shot of sugar to the little yummy.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    I don't mean to be a contrarian but I've read over and over that legumes are a common aggravator of gut diseases and that wheat and grains are not well processed or digested by babies (or adults for that matter). Grains, wheat and legumes are also inflammation foods. Now think ibs - inflammatory bowel disease. Wheat bread is also high glycemic so that's like a big shot of sugar to the little yummy.
    I totally agree with this. The only way to make those foods more digestible is to sprout or soak them. You have to trick the seeds into thinking they're growing (sprout/soak)...it eliminates a lot of the phytic acid which is the big problem. Too much of that will strip you of any iron you're already eating, unless it's meat. Meat has heme-iron, that's not the same and non-heme iron found in plants. Iron from meat is well absorbed, plants not so much unless you soak/sprout. It makes it more bio available.
    and Mama to two little girls