Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Complicated situation - please help!

Default Re: Complicated situation - please help!

It's been a bit of a stressful day, in terms of my supply reducing. It's taken her longer to get to letdown and when it finally comes, her active swallowing is over so quickly. I'm feeling worried and sad that my supply is tanking. I thought I was ready to allow nature to take over (from the Dom), but now I'm not so sure...

On a brighter note, she ate a great (for her) dinner. Several bites of eggs, black eans, watermelon, blueberries and whole wheat pancake with butter. It seemed to work well to have several things ready to offer when she got bored with something. The first time I've tried that - will definitely do it again.

I want to offer a different perspective. I'd encourage you to continue taking the domperidone and offering food first at a few meals each day. 12 months is quite young, and my experience with my son's slow warming to solids makes me think that some children aren't physiologically ready to process non-BM foods without gut irritation until later than most (say, 15 months). I'd caution that this is my untrained opinion and not medical advice.

DS20mo and I nurse as frequently as you and your DD. I began taking domperidone when DS was 13 months as his weight gain had stalled for several months. I still take 40mg 3x/day. My supply is abundant when I take my Dom on schedule, but I notice significant supply dips when I'm an hour or two late with my dose. DS has picked up his solids intake considerably, and he favours meats. He responded well to crumbly textures in meats, such as ground beef in meatloaf or hamburger.

ETA: I plan to maintain my current domperidone dosing for at least the next 4 months until DS turns two. If his solids intake has picked up on its own at that point and DS is cutting back on the nursing by a session or two, I may experiment with tapering to see if I can maintain that lower supply with less pharmaceutical support. If not, I'll continue to take domperidone. To me,'the end goal is child-led weaning, so I just consider domperidone a tool that facilitates my end goal. I'm not going to change my goal just to go off domperidone earlier. The medical risk to me and DS is effectively nil, and I see the monthly $60 as worthwhile. Does that make sense?

I would also like to reiterate that this is just my opinion based on my personal context.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; July 1st, 2013 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks for your thoughts, alphawoman. My preference is definitely for her to nurse longer, so I've considered exactly what you're suggesting. I'm going to need to reevaluate and make a decision about the Dom. The cost isn't the issue, as much as not wanting to continue on a med long term. I emailed with Dr. Jack Newman about it and he seems to feel it is perfectly safe long-term.

re: constipation - how about offering her more of the "P" fruits - peaches, pears, plums, prunes, apricots?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kidsmama View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, alphawoman. My preference is definitely for her to nurse longer, so I've considered exactly what you're suggesting. I'm going to need to reevaluate and make a decision about the Dom. The cost isn't the issue, as much as not wanting to continue on a med long term. I emailed with Dr. Jack Newman about it and he seems to feel it is perfectly safe long-term.
    I've had the same inklings, too. Rest assured domperidone is a drug designed for chronic use in GI patients, whereas our cases are relatively "acute". At the outer end, nursing to, say, 3 with full pharmaceutical support would still incur a much lighter Dom load than most GI patients, even adjusting for their lower doses.

In my case, I suspect I will be on domperidone, if at a lower dose, for well into my son's third year. I can't see him giving up frequent nursing, nor would I want him to.

Feel free to brainstorm here with me. The calculus of Dom/no Dom is hard for people without supply issues to fully appreciate, and I hope I can be helpful in sympathizing with a researched opinion. As they say, I have skin in the game.

Regarding constipation, I agree with the PP...do plums, pears, and peaches. Sweet potatoes also do wonders for my DS. I usually put some coconut oil, which might act as a natural laxative, in the pears and sweet potatoes when I cook them. This can add a good deal of calories and fat content. I avoid giving him dairy and gluten, as both of these products can cause constipation.
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

When my DS is constipated, I give him a little bit of prune juice with his breakfast, about 1-2 oz. My pediatrician highly recommended it and said that one of her kids needed it almost daily to avoid this problem. When I first tried it with DS, he kinda made the "ew" face, but now he's warmed to it and will drink it like any other juice. Maybe something to try?
    Andie

born 6/13/2012

~First-time Mama~
    and now finished with

My doc didn't test her iron either... Not sure why...
    But anyway, speaking about finger foods, my LO loves avocado, and humus like mommal mentioned in her post, so I'd give that a try. She likes to get her fingers in the humus and then licks them besides playing on her tray (good sensory play )
    We also offer sometimes (if she gets constipated) a little bit of watered down organic prune juice and that seems to help her. I've thought about getting some organic prunes, but I haven tried...

Hi Mama,

It's not directly related but I wanted to give you a link to a toddler/finger food recipe site. It's got a lot of high calorie little bite suggestions, most of which my LO loves. She's a small one too -- 15 months and hasn't tripled birth weight. She does eat well but would much rather be on the move than sit in a chair. I've found that the muffins and cheesy quinoa cookies on this page allow her to eat & be mobile. Most suggestions are freezable too so you don't have to worry about cooking everyday.

http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/...-quinoa-puffs/
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

I'm not a food expert and nutritionist, but are you sure bananas are constipating? My lo's favourite food is banana too and every time he eats it (sometimes nothing else), he poops lots! I mean, really huge amounts! Perhaps you can try offering whole fruit slices, instead of puree? And lots of breastmilk definitely helps!