Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complicated situation - please help!

Default Complicated situation - please help!

My daughter just turned one and, though we began solids around month 7, she has very little interest. I recently (last week) started offering solids first, then nursing (some of the time - gradually changing over) but her solids intake really hasn't increased. The solids she prefers the most are finger foods - and, unfortunately, ones that contribute to constipation like bananas. Even with a tiny solids intake, she struggles with constipation pretty often. (Her typical intake is 3-4 bites, 3-4 times a day.) She's at the breast 8-9 times a day, although some of those are very short. She's never demanded much, so I offer and let her refuse.

To complicate issues, I've been on domperidone since last November. I want to wean off of it now that we're at one year old, but feel like I'm beginning to see a supply drop (I've slowly weaned from 3 pills x 3 per day to 2 pills x 3 per day.) I don't want to take away her best nutrition - I'm totally good with nursing until she weans, I just don't want to stay on Dom forever.

To top it off, she's a slow gainer, I think. Her doc uses the CDC charts and she has steadily dropped since her 6 month checkup. However, I plugged her into the WHO chart and she's pretty steadily at 20-25th percentile since 6 months. However, her average gain from her 9 month checkup was lower than the kellymom averages - I think it was 1.4oz per week? (She was 17#4oz at 9 months and 18#4oz at 12 months.)

So, long story short, doc thinks I should definitely offer solids first. Fine. However, solids with any good calories apparently constipate her. Low calorie solids first will do nothing good for her weight - just fill her up and make her take less breast milk.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

Default Re: Complicated situation - please help!

When I said "sometimes - gradually switching over", I meant I'm gradually switching from nursing first to solids first. We still nurse as often as before.

Another question - should I stay on Dom (keep my supply good) until she naturally takes more solids - and tolerates them better with less constipation? Or is it a matter of making her hungrier so she'll take more solids? I'm assuming not - babies just start taking more solids while continuing to nurse as much, right?

After a year, it's fine to offer solids first and nurse after. Nursing continues to offer good, complete nutrition, but I don't think that means you need to stay on Domperidone for any more time! Just keep offering and if baby refuses, so be it.

What solids are you giving her? And has her iron been tested?

Some good high-calorie solids for self-feeders include:
    - beans, hummus on whole wheat toast
    - soft, shredded meats
    - whole milk dairy products like cheese and yogurt (serve in a squeezable tube-type device)
    - avocado (if too slippery, try rolling it in cracker crumbs)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal!

No, her iron has never been tested. Do you see a reason why we should? Her doc has never mentioned it, even knowing how little she eats.

Sorry - forgot about the other question. She routinely is offered scrambled eggs, ground turkey, smashed avocado on whole wheat toast, whole fat yogurt (which she often will refuse or only take on a loaded spoon to feed/spill on herself), bananas (unfortunately, her favorite food), sweet potato "fries", shredded cheese, applesauce (a constipater, I found out), puréed spinach mixed with a fruit purée - seems to help with constipation, a healthy oatmeal cookie, and other things I'm likely forgetting. Oh, zucchini and watermelon. Course, Cheerios and graham crackers - just a few now and then. Of these, she would eat bananas a ton, but I know they constipate, so I don't give her much. Everything else, I'm lucky if she eats 3-4 bites.

Also soft cooked green beans and sweet peas. Toss these with butter to add some fat.

Finally, I offer her a straw cup with water with all solids. She doesn't drink much - less than an ounce, for sure.

A lot of pediatricians test iron at around 9-12 months. It's a simple heel or finger stick, and IMO it's worth doing because breastfed babies are more likely than formula-fed ones to become anemic (breastmilk generally has enough iron, formula has excess), and because low iron can affect growth and development. If someone is worried about a child's growth, iron should be on the list of things to test for.

Your baby's diet sounds very normal for 12 months. At that age, I don't think my kids ate half that much. And when they did eat, then yeah, it was a few bites and then the rest went on the floor. It makes sens when you remember that breastmilk alone is capable of meeting all a child's nutritional needs until around age one, and the transition from needing only breastmilk to needing a ton of solids is a slow one. It's not like a kid goes to bed on day 364 of life needing only breastmilk, and wakes up on day 365 needing a ton of solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reassurance on her diet.

I'm not sure why her doc didn't test her iron. He wasn't overly concerned about her growth, but did say that if she continues dropping percentiles (again, on the CDC chart - I plan to bring a WHO chart with us next time), he'll want to look into it further. That may be when he'd want to test her iron...

In the meantime, I might as well pay more attention to iron-rich foods just in case she is a bit low. Couldn't hurt, right? I can easily cook her eggs and beans in a cast iron skillet and serve them with some vitamin C foods.